none
File access very slow over VPN w/x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Server is Windows Serv 2008 Standard SP2 x64

x64 clients have problems with file access. Same clients connected to Server 2003 32 work fine, not fast because of a slow link but useable.

Clients are remote connected via VPN and there is a "slow" 1.5mbps link in the mix. Local clients work OK. Remotes are not in the domain the local PCs are in a domain.

Form the remote if I use Windows Explorer context menu to copy a file on Paste on the client the progress details get to "Calculating..." and it stays there for minutes. DOS copy works but very, very slowly. Opening a file by double click works but very very slowly.

All I can find for a possible solution is to disable SMB 2.0 on the server and clients. These posts are at least a year old and some older.

It doesn't seem likely that after several years, a Windows 7 release, and several SPs on the server and OS that we still need to disable SMB 2.0 on both the server and the client (not practical to disable all the clients as these are personal home PCs) to resolve this problem.

Does anyone recognize this problem and have a solution?

McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 is on the server. The clients have a varitey of packages. The VPN package is from Checkpoint.

When the "Calculating" status is displaying the 1.5 link is saturated (I think - don't have the best tools for that test.)

Monday, January 9, 2012 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Please check if it works fine in intranet instead of VPN.

2. Wether the particular folder is on a same server as other working folders? If not, do all folders on the same server work improperly?

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:04 AM

All replies

• Turns out the above is limited to a particular folder. I have several other folders with the same security settings that do not demonstrate the problem.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Hi,

1. Please check if it works fine in intranet instead of VPN.

2. Wether the particular folder is on a same server as other working folders? If not, do all folders on the same server work improperly?

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:04 AM