none
OLAP cube failed: cannot load RRS feed

• Question

• I hope i can get someone to point me in the right deirection i've been racking my brain for the last 3 hours! 

I'm getting the obigatory 

===== Initiating OLAP database build process =====
    [6/18/2012 2:41 PM] Cube build request message has been added to the Project Server queue
    ===== Process Completed =====
    [6/18/2012 2:41 PM] Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: The attempt to build the OLAP database on server teesql01 failed, the SQL Server Analysis Services Analysis Management Objects (AMO) client software may not be installed on this server, please install/update the client on this server and retry. The underlying exception was: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Heres what i'm running

SQL Server 2008 SP2

SQL Server 2008 R2 native client (10.50.1600.1)

SQL Server 2008 Analysis Management Objects (10.0.1600.1)

I have verified that the Microsoft.AnalysisServices file exists int the C:\Windows\assembly folder and that the version number and token match with the error that i'm getting.

Also, i have set the login for the Analysis Services to an olap_svc domain account that has read access to my reporting DB in SQL 

Is there something that i'm missing? 

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:55 PM

Answers

• Derek,

In some cases, I've had to reboot the server as the Project Service restart didn't get it.

The AMO components also need to be SQL Server 2008, regardless of the SQL Server version you are using. When the functionality was developed, we found out that SQL only supports a specific version reference. No 2008 and higher allowed. So, 2008 was picked.

Lastly, ensure you've installed AMO on the application servers, if you have a three tier architecture and on the servers hosting the Project Service.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Once you get past this, you'll have one more configuration step.

Once the OLAP database is built, it generates a new folder of ODCs in the BI Center. You will need to go into the Excel Services Service Application and designate the new folder as a Trusted Data Connection library as Trusted Data Connection entries are folder-specific.

Otherwise, you'll encounter a new set of Excel related errors trying to run reports.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Derek,

First try deleteing exisitng OLAP cube from Analysis Server and rebuild the cube, if fails with same error

try re-installing AMO from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=130655 , After installing the AMO objects, restart the Project Application Service on each application server in the farm where it is running.

You can find more information about configuring OLAP from the “Install SQL Server 2008 Analysis Management Objects” section in the given article.
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Agreed with Hrishi, Please see a similar thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/7164f662-109c-4ae7-8d64-232570c8548d
    You do need to restart the Project Service Application on SharePoint Central Administration if you installed the AMO components AFTER Project Server.  If not then the Queue service does not know the components are there - hence the message

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”. Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:33 AM
  • I just tried this and no luck, got the same error message. I'm wondering if it's not communicating with the server? is there anyway to troubleshoot that? I read somewhere that I could find more info in the ULS viewer but it's kind of hard to parse through all that information without having some keyword(s) to filter.

@Amit I've seen that thread before posting this and have restarted the PWA service along with the servers multiple times

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Derek,

In some cases, I've had to reboot the server as the Project Service restart didn't get it.

The AMO components also need to be SQL Server 2008, regardless of the SQL Server version you are using. When the functionality was developed, we found out that SQL only supports a specific version reference. No 2008 and higher allowed. So, 2008 was picked.

Lastly, ensure you've installed AMO on the application servers, if you have a three tier architecture and on the servers hosting the Project Service.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Another idea. Does the app pool account that the Project Service is running under have admin rights in your Analysis Services instance?

Not having access could also create issues.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:28 PM
  • It appears that my SP server with Project installed on it doesn't have the AMO components.. I mistook ADOMD.NET as the AMO components when verifying. I guess sometimes you just need an extra pair of eyes.. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Once you get past this, you'll have one more configuration step.

Once the OLAP database is built, it generates a new folder of ODCs in the BI Center. You will need to go into the Excel Services Service Application and designate the new folder as a Trusted Data Connection library as Trusted Data Connection entries are folder-specific.

Otherwise, you'll encounter a new set of Excel related errors trying to run reports.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:56 PM