none
DPM2016 - Switch to modern storage & online backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I would like to upgrade DPM2012 running on Windows Server 2012 R2 to DPM2016 on Windows Server 2016 to leverage Modern Storage feature. I want to retain Azure online recovery points of all data sources, and do not trigger new full backups to the colud after the upgrade. I found an information, that in order to migrate data sources from legacy storage to the new one, I have to remove ds from the old protection group and add it to the new one (which uses new storage type) as there's no option to migrate data between those two. Will this process trigger new full to Azure recovery vault? If so, is there any workaround to prevent it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hello armaelblack

I've tested this approach and it worked as expected. I've started with Windows Server 2012 R2 and DPM 2012 R2 UR 10, migrated DPM to 2016 and then Windows Server to 2016. I've added a new storage pool to my DPM as a Volume (MBS), stopped protection of all data sources with Retain Data (this is crucial)! Then I've created a new protection group and store backups to my new Modern Backup Storage. After that I've manually started local and online (Azure) recovery point, which created a full local recovery point (makes sense, because of new storage pool) and a "incremental" recovery point to Azure. I'm also able to restore my older backups from the legacy storage pool and from my Azure vault.

So the short answer is, Online backup will continue to work. 

Hope I've answered your question.

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

• Proposed as answer by Matej Klemencic Monday, January 15, 2018 1:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by armaelblack Saturday, January 5, 2019 10:29 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:12 AM

All replies

•  Can anybody answer the question please.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:30 AM
  • Hello armaelblack

I've tested this approach and it worked as expected. I've started with Windows Server 2012 R2 and DPM 2012 R2 UR 10, migrated DPM to 2016 and then Windows Server to 2016. I've added a new storage pool to my DPM as a Volume (MBS), stopped protection of all data sources with Retain Data (this is crucial)! Then I've created a new protection group and store backups to my new Modern Backup Storage. After that I've manually started local and online (Azure) recovery point, which created a full local recovery point (makes sense, because of new storage pool) and a "incremental" recovery point to Azure. I'm also able to restore my older backups from the legacy storage pool and from my Azure vault.

So the short answer is, Online backup will continue to work. 

Hope I've answered your question.

• Proposed as answer by Matej Klemencic Monday, January 15, 2018 1:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by armaelblack Saturday, January 5, 2019 10:29 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hello Matej,

Thank you for an answer. You have mentioned about Retain Data option. Do you know by any chance, do I have to retain both local and online data to avoid full backup to Azure, or I may pick just Retain Online Data? I would like to remove old local DPM repository, so I may reuse the drive for modern storage.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:07 AM
  • Yes I'm quite sure that you can retain only the online backup if you want.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:06 PM