none
Applications are not listed for selection during deployments made with latest version MDT. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been having difficulties with my deployments since MDT 2013.  I created the task sequence with my applications each being installed separately which would result in a list during deployment that allowed me to choose which applications to install during the deployment.  Since MDT 2013, I have not been able to run deployments as I used to.  Applications are being installed as though I had not chosen to install them individually, meaning all aplications in my Applications folder are being installed.  I've tried adding "SkipApplications=NO" to the .ini file and am now attempting to add the same line to the Rules tab that can be called up by right-clicking on the Deployment Share and selecting properties but I fear this will not work either.  What broke the functionality of being able to custom install applications between MDT 2012 and 2013?  Is there a way to regain this functionality? Lately I have been attempting bare metal installs if that helps at all.  Thanks in advance!

Walter Reed, IV

Monday, May 1, 2017 4:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks all for the advice.  I finally found the answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/76922a69-1801-48af-afbe-27f661e77db7/mdt-2013-install-applications-in-task-sequence-asking-to-select-apps-during-deployment?forum=mdt  I had forgotten to set the initial application installation radio button to "Install multiple applications"... Thanks Keith Garner for the answer and thanks again for the replies in this forum!  I hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing this problem.
    • Marked as answer by Romeo Void Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:29 PM
    • Edited by Romeo Void Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:01 PM
    Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Walter,

Can you post your CustomSettings.ini for starters just so we can see what's going on in your deployment if possible? Are you using the Database as well for the Deployments as well or are you purely CustomSettings.ini only?

You say " I've tried adding "SkipApplications=NO" to the .ini file and am now attempting to add the same line to the Rules tab that can be called up by right-clicking on the Deployment Share and selecting properties but I fear this will not work either" - when you say ini file are you referring to the CustomSettings.ini file or Bootstrap.ini file?

Thanks,

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Adam.

I was incorrect in stating that I had added SkipApplications=NO in an ini file.

This is my actual CustomSettings.ini file:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES

I miss the functionality of being able to choose which applications are to be installed during a deployment.  Has that been lost in the latest versions of MDT?  I've not been able to do this since MDT 2012 I think.

Walter

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:10 PM
  • As long as an application is enabled, not hidden and included in the selection profile, it should display in the wizard as an option to install.  This has not changed in any version of MDT, including the latest (8443).

• Edited by BiAtE-Z Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Try adding "SkipApplications=NO" to your Rules. Here is an example of mine:

(under Default)
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=NO

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:30 PM
  • Logs will tell you why this is happening.  Have you looked at the logs?  Can you link them here?  Don't post the text of the log because that is not really helpful.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:06 PM
  • I have tried adding SkipApplications=NO to my .ini file and that didn't work.  In fact applications in the task sequences haven't been available since MDT 2010.  Either MS broke something or chose to make it more difficult.  I'll consult the logs, but where are they located?
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:40 PM
  • Oh, yes, in reply to BiAtE-Z;  I'm not new to this rodeo.  All applications are enabled and none are hidden.  All applications are also included in the selection profile.  I am called upon to perform bare metal and network based installations and am reasonably familiar with MDT as I have been using it since Windows 7 (2008/9).  Something is broken or left out in the current releases of MDT but very few have spoken up about it.  Please try creating a network or bare metal installation and let me know what occurs.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:46 PM
  • Logs?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Sorry Ty,  I wear many hats in this shop.  Where might I find the logs?  Having never had problems until now, I never had a reason to consult them much less know where they were.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:54 PM
  • The FAQ is the key!

Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:38 AM
  • Thanks all for the advice.  I finally found the answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/76922a69-1801-48af-afbe-27f661e77db7/mdt-2013-install-applications-in-task-sequence-asking-to-select-apps-during-deployment?forum=mdt  I had forgotten to set the initial application installation radio button to "Install multiple applications"... Thanks Keith Garner for the answer and thanks again for the replies in this forum!  I hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing this problem.
    • Marked as answer by Romeo Void Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:29 PM
    • Edited by Romeo Void Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:01 PM
    Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:29 PM