none
Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit - Windows Disk Protection - CPU Spikes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have several hundred XP SP2 machines that are using the MSCT version or Windows Disk Protection. Due to software compatibility issues with our imaging process, we were unable to upgrade to SP3 and use Steady State.

On a large number of our MSCT - WDP machines we are seeing CPU spikes from CMD.exe, FIND.exe and CSRSS.exe that use up to 99% of the CPU about every 8 seconds. This slows the machines down and greatly affects productivity. Nothing that we have found, aside from turning of WDP completely, will stop these processes from running.

I've done some extensive researching and found that these processes are being called by WDP and more specifically wdp.cmd. I have had a really hard time finding any information on what about WDP is actually sending the commands and why it is doing it so frequently.

Late yesterday I found a post that, originally was though to be useless, but ultimately led me down the path to what I believe is a solution.The same exact problem was described in the post.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15637776

In case it gets removed, here's the most important part:

ZOverLord says,

"Is this using the Toolkit Admin account?There is a script which runs a check every x seconds to see if WDP has been turned off or on, it only does this while you are logged on to the Toolkit Admin account."

I found that he/she seems to be referring to the CHECKWDP.hta script in %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit. This is the script that opens the little gui window that gives you the current stat of WDP (WDP is turned ON and set to CLEAR CHANGES AT NEXT RESTART).

ZOverlord had stated that it only runs that script in the admin account at startup. This may be true, but it runs at startup and doesn't stop, thus affecting any user that is logged in. The non-admin users don't see the gui window, but are still affected by the CPU spikes.

So I removed the shortcut to CHECKWDP.exe that was in the startup folder of the local admin account, set WDP to Save Changes at Next Restart and rebooted the machine. The script didn't run at next startup, the gui windows isn't there at login, and WDP was still turned on and unaffected by not having this in the startup folder. No more CPU spikes! I am still testing to see if this is a long term solution.

Has anyone had to deal with this problem before? If yes, did I take the right path to finding a proper solution? If no, what was your solution?

Does MS have any input? I know it's no longer supported, but the constant checks that take 99% CPU usage seems like overkill.

-Shannon

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:17 PM