Can't search for Skype users in directory. Skype search request failed 62044 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently I was looking for ways to chat with regular Skype users with SFB 2019. I opened necessary ports on firewall. Deleted the old and added new public SIP Federated provider, enabled it. The federation for EDGE server was checked before when I installed it so that was fine.

The issue is search does not work. When searching SFB client posts An error ocurred during the search. Contact your support team. When searching, an event log in FE server shows:

Event ID 62044. Skype search request failed.

Exception information : Fault occurred while attempting to proxy WCF message.

Exception type: CommunicationException

Additional Data:
    Source: Microsoft.Rtc.Server.WebInfrastructure
    Cause: A configuration or network connectivity issue might be causing failure to access the Skype search service.
    Resolution:
    Check the Skype search proxy and network configuration

When searching other company SFB users it shows presence unknown, WITH External network. Unfortunately I cant test it further since I cant bother that user.

I can telnet skypegraph.skype.com 443 from both FE and EDGE. Readded the SIP Federated Provider multiple times. Re-enabled federation support for EDGE in topology builder. What could be the cause? From what Ive searched people say it is Skype For Business 2019 bug and I need to wait for CU1. Is that true?

Any other information can be provided if needed. Thanks.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I'm also wondering if the issue occurred from the beginning?

If so, please first check whether the federation process have been perfomed that should be made for Skype consumer:

1.Configure Federation and PIC.

2.Configure at least one policy to support federated user access.

3.Configure the Skype PIC provider setting.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn705313.aspx

Then, please also confirm the 4443 is opened on the Edge server.

After that, repeat the methods as below which you might have been done before:

Disable Skype federation on edge server in topology, publish. Run Setup on edge server.

Re-enable Skype federation on edge server in topology, publish. Run Setup on edge server.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 26, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Hello Calvin,

Thanks again for help. I tried the steps suggested. Created new user policy that allows federated access, re-added the Skype PIC provided and republished the topology. Port 4443 is open on Edge.

None of that helped :( Skype search request failed (Event 62044) still persists.

On different note - We are testing client access and one of the clients could sign in, but after a while error: Skype Room System sign-in failed due to untrusted domain: mydomain.local. I read that it is due user domain not matching certificate which is odd. All the necessary names are in the certificate. Whats more the error shows internal server name, not external mydomain.pw.

• Edited by _jancis Friday, April 26, 2019 2:29 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:09 PM
  • Hi, 

Would you please try to untick the Skype federation option for Edge server in SFB topology, and then publish the topology? After that, run Step 2:Install or Update Skype for Business Server System to update the configuration in Deployment Wizard.

After performing the above, please try to re-enable the feature in topology builder, then republish the topology and run step 2 again in SFB deployment wizard. 

After that, let's see if the search for Skype users will work. (Also remember to re-configure the Skype connectivity under Federation tab in Control panel.)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hello Calvin,

I tried your suggestion, unfortunately didnt help. I will remove the old and install new Edge server then report back with the results. For now error could be cause by anything since when debugging Ive pretty much fiddled with most of the knobs and some of them could be the cause.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:57 PM
  • Hi Jancis,

did I get this right: you try to federate with external skype users? (so NOTskype for business)

There are three requirements:

1. of course federation with public Skype users must be enabled:

2. the public skype user must have his account linked to microsoft account:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure-Active-Directory-Identity/Combining-your-Skype-account-and-your-Microsoft-account-You-want/ba-p/245173

3. both users (public skype and s4b user) must have each other in their contact list added (and then it might take up to 24 hours until they can start communication and see their status)

• Edited by zaikun Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:46 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Hello Zaikun,

Thank you for your reply. First 2 steps were already done, however im having problems with the 3rd step. I cant add the S4B contact to my skype account due skype not being able to find it.

And vice versa with the S4B client:

When searching Front-End server Event Viewer drops an Event 62044:

The other error that frontend server started posting:

• Edited by _jancis Friday, May 3, 2019 1:24 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 1:07 PM
  • Hi Jancis,

is federation with a different company working? so s4b to s4b federation?

can you test this?

regards

Friday, May 3, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hello Zaikun,

When I search users from different company it shows them like this:

It knows that its an external network user. But when I try to contact it, it states that the message was not sent due to the company policy.

. When searching my company users from outside (in this case O365 Teams), it aswell finds it just fine, however no status information can be obtained and messages cannot be sent.

Policywise afaik everything is ok:

____________________________________________________________________________

Policies are applied to the user Im testing with.

• Edited by _jancis Friday, May 3, 2019 2:14 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 1:52 PM
    • Edited by _jancis Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by _jancis Friday, May 10, 2019 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the sharing, hope it would be fixed in the next CU.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Shaw_Lu Friday, May 10, 2019 7:18 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 7:18 AM