none
Project/Sharepoint task list sync error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We have a sharepoint site (using the project site template) with a task list and some tasks in them with a workflow attached to it. When we try to open and makes changes to the task list through microsoft professional, we sometimes (usually when the predecessors are changed) get the following error: "We can't write task X to the SharePoint site. This is either because the task is in read-only mode or because this task has a column that requires unique value". Even though this error is there, we can still save changes to the list, including on the task in the error message. 

The issue is that I use this site as a site template to be used with project online. On sites created from the template, the error appears a lot more and also prevents us to save anything when it appears. 

We have noticed that the error rarely - if ever - shows up when the workflow is set to start manually compared to when an item is created/modified. 

I have checked every single field in the list, none of them requires unique values. The tasks aren't read only either. When we turn off the workflow everything is fine. 

What is the workflow messing up with? How do I get rid of the issue?

The workflow doesn't write anything in the task list, it only does this:

• queries the list to retrieve all the tasks that have the current task as a predecessor
    • for each of them, query the list to make sure that their own predecessors are marked as completed
    • email the people assigned to the next task

We are on O365. Any investigation idea is most welcome. 

Thanks

• Edited by Asmine Monday, April 3, 2017 3:34 AM
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 5:07 AM

Answers

• For anyone looking for an answer to this. We ended up getting Microsoft to look into it and the answer is: you cannot have a list workflow on a list that gets opened and updated with Microsoft Project. 

Microsoft answer's:

This is a by design behavior in both server side and client side. This is caused by the settings that you associated a workflow which will start with item update or create.

The workflow started after the first update according to your setting, once workflow started, it will update the workflow status field. If you do not have this setting, the workflow will not started and the workflow status field will not be changed

So when the win-pro trying to update the item again for the second time, the server will told win-pro you are trying to update a dirty data(the workflow status field has been changed).

To resolve this issue, we have to disable this setting.  

• Marked as answer by Asmine Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM
    • Edited by Asmine Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM

All replies

• I did more testing today.

The error is still occurring only when the workflow is set to start with item added/modified, if it is manually started there never is an error.

I created a new task list and a new workflow attached to it. I made it really simple (10 tasks, workflow only sends me an email with the task title included). Open the task list in Microsoft project:

• Add tasks with title, duration, start and finish: no sync error
    • Add a predecessor to an existing task: no sync error
    • Add a predecessor to multiple tasks: sync error
    • Add 2 predecessors to 1 task: no sync error
    • change takss to auto scheduled or to manual schedule: no sync error
    • Remove predecessors on all tasks: sync error
    • Remove all tasks: no sync error
    • Change all task names: sync error but it still saved everything (even the task that showed in the error message)

I've also tried to add a "pause for 2 min" in the workflow but I still get the same behaviour.

I have also tested this and got the same results on another tenant, with a default site collection and a project site template.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:35 AM
  • I tried the solutions listed in this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/error-syncing-ms-project-to-sharepoint/4fe60ace-5e6c-4cfa-8346-064a8332265c 

• Clean Windows Credentials and Office applications’ caches
      • Worked with Project as administrator mode after making the changes.
      • I closed Project and went back to the SharePoint task list and clicked open in Project, made a modification and got the error again.

• Clear IE caches via Tools>Safety>Deleting browser history and reset IE.
      • I’m using Edge but I cleared the history and everything else that could be cleared.

• Check if cookies is enabled in your browser. If you are using IE, you can do that via Tools>Internet Options>Privacy and set settings to Accept All Cookies.
      • Edge set to do not block cookies.

• Re-sign into the Office 365 portal by checking Keep me signed in, set the site collection where the task list you want to sync the tasks created from Project 2013 to resides as the trusted site via Internet options>Security>Trusted sites>Sites>Add if you are using IE.
      • I’m using Edge so I didn’t add the site in trusted site.
      • Tried again after clearing cache from above and using the “keep me signed in” checkbox. Error still appears.

• Clear Project caches.
      • Error still there.

Additional information:

1. Do you download Project 2013 from https://portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx?
      1. We use Project 2016, downloaded through the office portal
    2. If you create a new site collection or a new task list, what’s the outcome?
      1. Same thing, as said in my previous email. Would you like me to try again now that I’ve gone through the investigation steps above?
    3. Does the issue happen to all people in your organization?
      1. It happens to me and at least one other person. I’m a consultant and have a project online licence in the client environment and a Project desktop licence through my employer. The other person having the same issue is a client employee and has the project online with project desktop licence.
    4. Are you a site collection administrator?
      1. Yes, we both are.

• Edited by Asmine Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:05 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:03 AM
  • For anyone looking for an answer to this. We ended up getting Microsoft to look into it and the answer is: you cannot have a list workflow on a list that gets opened and updated with Microsoft Project. 

Microsoft answer's:

This is a by design behavior in both server side and client side. This is caused by the settings that you associated a workflow which will start with item update or create.

The workflow started after the first update according to your setting, once workflow started, it will update the workflow status field. If you do not have this setting, the workflow will not started and the workflow status field will not be changed

So when the win-pro trying to update the item again for the second time, the server will told win-pro you are trying to update a dirty data(the workflow status field has been changed).

To resolve this issue, we have to disable this setting.  

• Marked as answer by Asmine Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM
    • Edited by Asmine Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:23 AM
  • This answer should be a paid ad on Facebook, targeting anyone who is using MS Project with Sharepoint. It wouldn't hurt to release a patch that detects if workflows are enabled on a list and warn the user that saving may cause invalid states.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 5:50 AM