none
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Error Code 0xc1900107 RRS feed

• Question

• I was attempting to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and received the message "Something went wrong. You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error.  Here is the error code 0xc1900107." in the Windows 10 update assistant.  Please help?
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• See Error Message when installing the Anniversary Update 0xC19000101-0x300D the op go it installed and posted their thoughts.

So my take, uninstall you anti-virus product, any security products try again.

Windows Update Trouble shooter:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/E/7/FE74974A-9029-41A0-9EB2-9CCE3FC20B99/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

Update your video drivers.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:47 PM
  • Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-anniversary-update-failed-to-install

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Insider MVP, MS MVP (2014-2016)

Thursday, August 4, 2016 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

Try the Windows update troubleshooter at first, download it from here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Then, kindly refer to the link that Mr. Happy mentioned, there are some good measures can be tried.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Ok so I had the exact same problem until now, where i read in a microsoft forum that you either have to delete the folder "$Windows.~BT" under (C:) or rename it. It worked after renaming it.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:24 PM
  • I'm not sure if you got it fixed yet but i'm responding in case someone else stumbles on to this page like I did.

Go to your C: drive in the file explorer

Click View and check the box that says "Hidden Files"

There will be a folder named "$WINDOWS. ~ BT"

Rename that folder to anything you'd like.

Attempt the update again.

Should work just fine.

• Proposed as answer by Damir Arifulin Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:45 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Thank you MrFraztastic.  I renamed the $WINDOWS. ~ BT to  $WINDOWS. ~ BT-RENAME and re-run the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and the update installed perfectly and repaired all of my previous errors and corrupt files in Windows 10!  I had previously tried command prompt admin: sfc /scannow which found corrupt files but was unable to fix them.  Also tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command with no success. Even tried RESTORE but error message "There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made". Earlier in the week, and prior to the update Edge browser would open & crash immediately, firewall would not turn on, windows could not update, Defender would not update, generic audio driver would not install, all of my printers would be visible under devices but not available to print. Everything works now! You are a lifesaver! Thank you!
    Friday, September 2, 2016 5:43 PM
  • WoW! You are great man. Thank you very much. my computer works well now.

Saturday, September 3, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Thank you very much MrFraztastic this helped!
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:46 AM
  • thanks dude
    • Proposed as answer by nardus Friday, April 7, 2017 9:24 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:21 PM
  • When I am still getting error are update and fix. Also when I enable my Nvidia it will black screen, have any hints to help?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Thanks so much, have been tying to fix this for a month, your fix was the first one that worked.
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Using many sources I've compiled a list of things to try. One or more of them fixed my issue so if you don't want to waste time, it's a good idea to do them all (in order) - unless you're a scientist, then by all means, go ahead find the exact answer ;-)

1. Uninstall all High Definition Audio Drivers (In Device Manager)
    2. In Windows Update settings, set to never check for updates
    3. Stop and disable the "Windows Update Service" (in Services manager)
    4. Rename  C:\$WINDOWS.~BT (Could be ~WS or other) to something else
    5. Restart Computer
    6. Retry Windows 10 Upgrade

You can also try other things like disable your Antivirus program etc... if this doesn't work.

Also, after the reboot you should make sure all the settings you changed are still there.

Good luck and mark this as useful if it helped, also send a thank you to the rest of the people across the web who helped me help you.

• Proposed as answer by -JxAxMxIxN- Sunday, October 2, 2016 1:14 AM
    Sunday, October 2, 2016 1:14 AM
  • Pleased to see this worked for others but for me, no dice. I've tried many times and almost made it but no. Now the windows 10 update tries to load the following:  "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607"  when I still have version 1511 and keeps failing. I fear this waiting update is causing the problem.
    • Edited by Meerkerk Monday, October 3, 2016 2:30 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Yep MrFraztastic and A-Wang were on the money. Just go to C Drive, scroll to "$Windows.~BT" and either delete or rename it. Deleting wont do any harm. Worked for me also. Cheers
    Monday, December 26, 2016 8:13 AM
  • I'm not sure if you got it fixed yet but i'm responding in case someone else stumbles on to this page like I did.

Go to your C: drive in the file explorer

Should work just fine.

Worked perfectly, thank you.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Worked fine.

Had this Problem since version 1511 wanted to upgrade.

"Cannot update because another update is still running"

After renaming "WINDOWS. ~ BT" and restart the upgrade to version 1703 was successful.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:18 PM
  • I was attempting to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and received the message "Something went wrong. You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error.  Here is the error code 0xc1900107." in the Windows 10 update assistant.  Please help?

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:45 PM
  • Go to your C: drive in the file explorer

Should work just fine.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:53 AM
  • I  tried loads of times  to update over the last 12 months or more with no luck Windows Updates also always failed as well. Last night I noticed the report above from rich_hard1.I  thought try one last time  and yippieee .Took more than 2 hours but got  there in the end.I just  renamed "windows~bt  to bt   I did not delite it as some people said to do.

Well done rich_hard1

JOHN

Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:07 PM
  •  Just to add that I typed in windows updates assistant in the task bar .They guide you through the  update. just in case you think the update has froze or stopped and think it has failed again
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:23 PM
  • Thanks Mr. Fraztastic.  I have spent the past 3 days trying to update/reset my windows 10 without success.  I had tried all other fixes (5 or 6 different methods) and this one did the trick!  I just hope that it sorts out my system issues.  Cheers for posting
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Fantastic, Fraztastic & A-Wang! I changed "$Windows.~BT" to my initials "$Windows.~MB" & yes after days of attempts at '1703' it updated.

Persistence pays, thank you for your input, where ever that solution came from.

MB

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:43 AM
  • Thank you MrFraz

worked like a charm

Monday, December 4, 2017 11:41 AM
  • Worked for me. Thanks for posting
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:31 PM
  • For all of the replies in the this thread and for all future replies:

Please indicate which error message and/or error code this method has fixed and please indicate which error codes it has not fixed.

Has everyone just applied the technique to 1900107 or has it worked for failed upgrades with different error codes?

This reporting may help people that view this thread.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:05 AM

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:16 AM
  • Thanks, this fixed my issues.
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 12:02 PM
  • So far the deletion of the $WINDOWS. ~ BT folder appears to have allowed 19 people (votes as of 4/4/2018)  to fix the failure to upgrade.

When viewing this link it displayed:  

In the case of a failed upgrade, it is better to delete the folder and start the upgrade process afresh.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-creators-update-fails-install

There was no explanation of the WHY it should work.

When viewing the file types within the BT folder there were no .dll files.

There were:

BIN file

XML file

XSL stylesheet

DAT file

Windows performance analyzer trace file

Javascript file

text document 

cascading style sheet document

HTML file

Does anyone know which type of file needs to be removed or the specific file that needs to be removed?

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:34 PM