Richcopy did not copy many files and no security was copied RRS feed

• General discussion

• We copied a massive amount of files, about 400+GB. The copy copied a good 90% of the files, but we received a lot of errors stating it could not find the file thus couldn't copy, but I went through the logs and discovered that all of those files did indeed exists on the source. Why were they apparently 'not found' ??

Second and most importantly, NO security was copied over despite the fact that I set it up under the File attributes, Error Handling section, I checked the boxes under Information to be copied, "File Attributes, Time Stamp" and ALL of the security Information boxes were checked.

One more thing is that everything seemed to copy over as read-only. Is this because on the General tab, I accidently left the "Ignore READ-ONLY flag" checked? The thing is, NOTHING was read only until this copy.

So now we are stuck with an unprecedented amount file and folders that are missing appropriate security and a lot of them are user folders which makes things worse.

I've been trying to devise a script (or maybe re-use Richcopy or even Robocopy to copy over just the security but can't figure it out)

Could anyone lend some guidance on why this may have occurred and better yet, how the heck I can fix this, please? Thank you very much.

• Changed type Miya Yao Friday, June 3, 2011 5:35 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi HospiceChesapeake,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

As with all our free utilities, RichCopy is provided as-is, and it's not supported by Microsfot. Refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx

However, I will change this thread type to Discussion in order to involve other community members who also use this free tool to discuss it.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:35 AM
  • @HospiceChesapeake  --  For the "files not found" errors, have you taken a close look at the length of the file names, including the directory paths, to make sure they do not exceed roughly 255 characters?  If they do, the copies will fail with the file not found errors.  To get around these kinds of errors, map to a deeper level in your folder structure to reduce the folder/filename length.

For security info not getting set; well it might be worth playing with the adjustable buffer length in the copy settings.  I don't know that it would affect the ability of RichCopy to set security settings on files/folders, but I do know that if they're too small, the program will crash with errors.  Given that, I'd guess anything's possible.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:03 PM
  • This may not apply to you, but I use the /fft ('FAT' option) option in robocopy so that files within 2 seconds of each other aren't copied.  Osx smb shares don't store the timestamp in seconds to any decimal place.  I guess FAT systems didn't either.  I use cygwin 'ls -l --time-style=full-iso' to check the timestamp accurately.

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:15 PM