none
Can we plan and estimate costs at RBS? and then assign resources at a lower level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we plan and estimate costs at Resource Group level (RBS?) and then assign resources at a lower level. Rough thoughts below. Please suggest is there any OOB or customization ways?

TASK

Resource Group(RBS)

Resource Name

Assessment Task

Inspection $100,000

1.      Raj = $70,000
    1.      Ram = $30,000

Architecture = $50,000

1.         David = $18,000
    1.        Paul = $ 32,000

Thanks, Ram

Friday, December 2, 2016 5:02 PM

All replies

• Ram,

It looks like you want to do something similar to what we did with regard to initial planning. We created what we called planning packages. Planning packages are simply general descriptions of activities required to execute a program. In your example it might be Assessment activities, Planning activities, Execution activities, etc. A budget, or in your case resource groups, are assigned to each planning package. This is the initial high level plan describing the program.

Once the high level plan is accepted, each general activity (i.e. planning package) is broken out into performance tasks (i.e. detail plan) with named resources assigned to each task. The general activity then becomes a summary line. It is important to note that when the general activities are broken out into detail tasks, the resource group assignments must be removed from the summary line, otherwise duplicate costs will be incurred.

For long programs (i.e. those spanning a year or more) it isn't necessary or desirable to break out the whole program into detail tasks as things may change in the future, so general activities 6 months and later can be left as planning packages. As the program is executed, near term planning packages are broken out into detail.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

John

Saturday, December 3, 2016 4:39 PM