Creating dev server from prod backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a SP2007 instance that has become a production system.  I need to create a development system for us to test on.  I cannot find any clear directions to backup from one server and restore on another server and instance.  Can anyone point me in the direction where I might be able to find this information?  Or, if it is straightforward enough and I've overlooked something, an outline of the process would probably be sufficient.

Just FYI, I'm a relative n00b to Sharepoint in general, so my apologies if this is a silly question.

Many thanks,

ia_admin

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:03 PM Do not SHOUT in Titles
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Best thing is you can take a back up of entire farm and restore it on another server.  you can even take a back up of content databases individually and restore them.

But i would like to suggest you that use central admin for this process. Just make sure that you have admin rights of all servers. (SP Servers and databases servers)

Here is some good links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc706871%28office.12%29.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262412%28office.12%29.aspx

Hope this helps

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Friday, December 24, 2010 4:44 AM
  • You need to first manually create your DEV farm. Build the servers, configure web apps, etc. Once the 'structure' is the same, then you can restore the content databases from PROD to DEV.

Keep in mind, you cannot restore Central Admin nor Configuration databases. 

- If you have an SP Farm Backup, then inside of it is an XML file that tells you how each .bak file represents a content database. Just restore the content databases using SQL.

- If you don't have an SP Farm Backup, then just go into SQL Server Mgmt Studio and take backups of your prod content databases. Then restore them on your dev box.

You should not be using the same service accounts (farm admins, web app pools, etc) in DEV as you do in PROD.  Because of this, once you've restored the SQL databases, you'll need to ensure the web application identities have proper rights to the sharepoint databases.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Best thing is you can take a back up of entire farm and restore it on another server.  you can even take a back up of content databases individually and restore them.

But i would like to suggest you that use central admin for this process. Just make sure that you have admin rights of all servers. (SP Servers and databases servers)

Here is some good links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc706871%28office.12%29.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262412%28office.12%29.aspx

Hope this helps

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Friday, December 24, 2010 4:44 AM
  • You need to first manually create your DEV farm. Build the servers, configure web apps, etc. Once the 'structure' is the same, then you can restore the content databases from PROD to DEV.

Keep in mind, you cannot restore Central Admin nor Configuration databases. 

- If you have an SP Farm Backup, then inside of it is an XML file that tells you how each .bak file represents a content database. Just restore the content databases using SQL.

- If you don't have an SP Farm Backup, then just go into SQL Server Mgmt Studio and take backups of your prod content databases. Then restore them on your dev box.

You should not be using the same service accounts (farm admins, web app pools, etc) in DEV as you do in PROD.  Because of this, once you've restored the SQL databases, you'll need to ensure the web application identities have proper rights to the sharepoint databases.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:35 PM