Are old Machines working with new CCM agent RRS feed

• Question

• Dears

We have plan to migrate our SCCM 2012 to SCCM 2012 r2 in new server 2012 r2. Most of the machines are installed SCCM agents package already. my questions is when I install new SCCM 2012 r2 on new server 2012 r2 if I create new windows 7 package and deploy to the windows 7 machines what about old machines which they already have CCM packages? Are they taken new CCM packages from new SCCM 2012 r2 again? or is the updates compatible with old CCM package in C:\Windows?

What about if I make new endpoint update package and deploy for machines which are already installed endpoint. Are they getting updates from new SCCM?

Regards.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:21 AM

All replies

• We have plan to migrate our SCCM 2012 to SCCM 2012 r2 in new server 2012 r2.

So backup and restore to a new server? Or what have you planned to do exactly?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:46 AM
  • My plan is create new windows and endpoint update packages and deploy for new machines and old SCCM agent packages which is already installed on client machines. Is that is working?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:17 PM
  • And what's happening with the CM server?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:48 PM
  • My plan is install new SCCM 2012 r2 sp1 on Windows server 2012 r2. The old SCCM 2012 RTM already installed SCCM packages on machines and everyday sending windows updates and endpoint updates. The question is if I send SCCM packages to new windows 7 machines and other OS, are the old packages which are installed before with SCCM 2012 RTM are they getting updates?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Dear Sir,

Regardless how you upgrade and do post-upgrades, Configuration Manager primary site or secondary site should be able to support communication from clients that have a lower service pack version. However, these clients can't use new functionality coming with new ConfigMgr version.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:30 AM