I can't hear Cortana or speak to her RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've been having an issue with Cortana. She's never been able to speak, even when she's supposed to practice saying my name. Also I noticed in Settings\System\Speech when I try to preview the voice for text to speech that won't work as well. The other issue I'm having is that Cortana can't hear me. I turned on the option for her to respond to "Hey Cortana" and it still doesn't work. I have a built in mic in my laptop. I understand that this is just a preview version of the operating system so I understand if you can't devote a lot of time to this problem. But if you have some ideas that I can try I sure would appreciate it :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:07 PM

Answers

• Try uninstalling the sound driver(s). Reboot and reinstall.  It may take one more reboot after that.  It worked for me.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:33 PM

All replies

• Try uninstalling the sound driver(s). Reboot and reinstall.  It may take one more reboot after that.  It worked for me.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:33 PM
  • BIll

Thumbs up  +1

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:11 AM
  • No workie. Hey Cortana, can hear me, but I hear nothing from her.  Build 10049. Any way to uninstall and reinstall Cortana.
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Ditto.  I was fine before the 1041 build.  In the past uninstalling and reinstalling the sound device driver fixed the problem.  No more.  You might try it anyway, however.

Can you answer a few troubleshooting questions?  Do you have more than one sound device? Do you have a realtek sound device? Are your sound devices USB?

Bill

Sunday, April 19, 2015 3:03 PM
  • This thread may apply to your problem.  Please note the solution is not immediate.

Realtek Audio driver and codec R.2.76 does not work with Windows 10

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:08 PM
  • in Settings\System\Speech when I try to preview the voice for text to speech that won't work as well.
    What about Narrator?  As for recording you could try Sound Recorder.  Oh, apparently we need to go to the Store to get Voice Recorder now?  Then I'll be ready for it if I ever figure out how to make my Hyper-V expose my microphones.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:17 AM
  • Hey Bill:

I am having the same issue with Cortana. She cannot hear or speak to me. I do have a realtek sound device. Nothing plugged in via USB. Have yet to uninstall/reinstall sound driver as seen from above, it does not work. Please advise

Thanks,

Tiffany

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:08 PM
  • So if Realtek device does not work with Windows 10, what should I do from here?
    Friday, June 5, 2015 11:09 PM
  • This is an issue that has turned out to be pretty reproducible. MS is working on the audio issues. I would give it a couple of weeks. Also if you are using the driver from the Realtek site, I would delete it and let the Windows Realtek driver replace it on a reboot. It may take a couple of reboots to get set up properly.
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 12:00 AM