none
MS Project 2016 crashes when I go to options RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I try to go to options, MSP 2016 stops working the restarts, losing all of my work. I have tried uninstalling all MS Office products and reinstalling project first but this hasn't helped. This is really frustrating and impossible to work with. Please help.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:46 AM

Answers

• In addition to SpinRite (which I also own) sometimes it's worth also running the windows command sfc /scannow  which is the system file checker.  

It's also worth removing any other software you don't use, and disable any AV software you have installed.  Also, is this just Project, or does the same happen when you select options in Outlook, Word etc.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

These errors are really difficult to resolve.  I suspect (given your user name) that you have already made sure it is fully patched (if this is part of the Office 365 subscription model then MS continually provide updates, if not please check out Paul's blog (https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2017/11/16/projectserver-and-sharepoint-2013-2016-november-2017-cumulative-update-ps2013-sp2013-ps2016-sp2016-msproject/) for the latest MSI updates.).

Assuming it is fully patched and updated, then are there any clues in the Event log?

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for the reply. This is a standalone version of project 2016 (not 365) All appears to be up to date. Contrary to what my name may suggest, I am a dummy on the computer. Below are the details from the event log

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Application Error
    - EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2017-12-06T09:04:27.662176200Z
    EventRecordID 3144
    Channel Application
    Computer Woodland
    Security
    - EventData
    WINPROJ.EXE
    5a16313a
    WINPROJ.EXE
    5a16313a
    c0000005
    0000000000e86dae
    83c
    01d36e7131e2a96f
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE
    c2dc03a0-6b17-469c-af12-935f6c411d9c

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:10 AM
  • As Ben says, really difficult to debug these sorts of things.

Maybe it's not Project, but Windows.  Project relies heavily on Windows (and generic Office) software components to run.

I've fixed problems like this in the past by running a disk repair program called SpinRite (available from grc.com) which fixes bad sectors on the hard drive.  They do indeed fail sometimes.

After that not working, then I'd probably restore the entire computer from backup.

Clearly, something is corrupted, but next to impossible for mortals to figure it out, usually.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:12 AM
  • In addition to SpinRite (which I also own) sometimes it's worth also running the windows command sfc /scannow  which is the system file checker.  

It's also worth removing any other software you don't use, and disable any AV software you have installed.  Also, is this just Project, or does the same happen when you select options in Outlook, Word etc.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

My computer is 2 weeks old. Project 2016 was running fine until windows 10 updated 2 days ago. I have just reverted to the previous version of windows 10 but now I cant even uninstall office! Looks like a long night ahead... 

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Thanks Ben,

It is a new computer and I spent a long time removing unwanted programmes and bloatware.

It is just project, office 2016 is working well. I'll try the sfc/scannow and see what happens....

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Ouch, that hurts - good luck and post back with how you get on so that others may learn.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:42 AM
  • Rather than uninstall Office and Project, try first a Repair on Office and Project. If root cause is Windows update I would think others would be reporting same problem. Since a new computer I would be suspicious of the hardware or flaws introduced when the bloat removed. The sfc/scannow might fix. Also, as Ben suggests, get rid of all 3rd party anti virus products if still there and see if makes difference. Or wipe disk and restore from backup. Good luck.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:48 AM
  • WOOHOO! problems solved... I ran the scf/scannow and noticed an immediate change in speed. opening project was lightning fast, although it still shut down when selecting options. I tried to uninstall project again but was not allowed. Instead I installed project again (it allowed me to do this) I restarted the computer after the successful project install and Voila! All works well. 

Really appreciate your help and input, Gents. 

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:28 PM