Can I recover Windows XP Pro Admin p/w using Linux Mint disk? RRS feed

• Question

• I have this program on a DVD disk (Mint).

It allows me to access the web in a very limited way (many pictures and video don't show and no sound at all), and also some of my files that were saved on Windows (not all).

It is locked in while I am using it, and so I can't copy any suggested programs onto a boot disk (solutions I have read about elsewhere require this).

The problem is I am locked out of Windows completely (Windows XP Pro) since the stored password seems to have become corrupted.

Does anyone know a way I can cross over into my Windows files that store the passwords, so I can find the password (using this Linux Mint disk)? I am the owner of the machine, and the Windows XP Pro (which came loaded on it - so no disc - but sticker with product key is on machine). I am also owner of all data on it (which I don't want to lose).

Any solutions that fit this situation would be very appreciated, thank you.

[P.S. Please be aware, I have a virtually no knowledge of Window, Linux, and computers in general, (am trying to learn if I can) so any solutions need to be spelled out like I'm a total moron].

P. P. S. Here is discussion link so far (tried for help in Linux Mint forum) ... am trying to find Dell help forum atm, in case it's more in that area.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=134846
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can reset the Win XP password using some 3rd party tools available online. Recover is not possible though.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:31 PM
  • You can reset the Win XP password using some 3rd party tools available online. Recover is not possible though.

This is actually not true.  You can recover lost XP passwords using legitimate software recovery solutions.  I have done it myself.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:06 PM

This is actually not true.  You can recover lost XP passwords using legitimate software recovery solutions.  I have done it myself.
    Okay, i was aware of that. Can you post some URL for this?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:18 AM
  • The name of the program is Ophcrack
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:24 PM