none
PS 2007: Can't access Issue/Risk Center - "undetectable error" RRS feed

• Question

• Running Project Server 2007 with Feb Cumulative Update.  When I try to access the "Issue and Risk Center", I get a Sharepoint error "Your request has failed for an undetectable reason", which is less than helpful.

This is currently only happening in my user account and not for other users.  It doesn't appear to matter whether or not I have any issues/risks assigned to me or not; it happens either way.

I found a discussion of other admins experiencing this problem, but no solution

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/34962488/error-on-pwa-issues-and-risks.aspx

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

• I've identified why this is happening in this instance.  If you "orphan" a project workspace by deleting the associated project (Delete Enterprise Objects), and that project workspace still has issues/risks assigned to the user, the user will receive the above error.  Removing the assignment of the issue/risk item solves the problem.

Sadly this means that what I was investigating, trying to trick Project into letting me have an unaffiliated project issues list that would benefit from the issues/risk center webpart and also automatically fit into my portfolio Issues report, is not going to work.

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA PMO & Project Server Admin
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• Terrie:

Does the problem follow you from machine to machine?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Good question.  Yes, I tried another computer and experienced the identical issue.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:59 PM
  • You should check the ULS logs for additional error information
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:40 AM
  • I've identified why this is happening in this instance.  If you "orphan" a project workspace by deleting the associated project (Delete Enterprise Objects), and that project workspace still has issues/risks assigned to the user, the user will receive the above error.  Removing the assignment of the issue/risk item solves the problem.

Sadly this means that what I was investigating, trying to trick Project into letting me have an unaffiliated project issues list that would benefit from the issues/risk center webpart and also automatically fit into my portfolio Issues report, is not going to work.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Good to know.  Thanks for the providing the answer too!

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Terri,

Having a similar problem and not seeing any other info on this or getting responses. Where are you looking to find these "orphans"? When looking in Server Settings under Project Workspaces, I see no workspaces not tied to a project. However, I'm not ruling that out as a possibility. Is there another place to look? Didn't see any way to get at from Delete Objects. Appreciate any help. Tnx

Rick Frisby
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:32 PM