none
Windows 8 - Hosting Easy Assist Sessions

Question

• Hi there

I have seen some previous posts on this subject but want to be absolutely clear as this is a significant issue!

I have been running Windows 8 on my workstation now for several months and although I couldn't request support using Intune "Remote Assistance is not supported on this version of Windows" up until last week I could always respond to a support request made by one of my clients.

This morning I attempted to respond to a clients request for support and I saw "Remote Assistance is not supported on this version of Windows" within the Windows Intune Console. I have never seen this before!

Is this correct?

If so when will it be resolved as I have half a dozen or so clients who have all bought into Intune so that we can assist them (I often use this feature several times a day).

If it is not going to be resolved then this will keep most of your cloud partners from using Windows 8 which leads to other issues in relation to learning Win 8, developing Win 8 RT applications etc. and prevent most of our Intune Clients from moving off Win 7

Some good news please.

Martyn Fewtrell
    martynfewtrell@tncit.co.uk

Martyn Fewtrell TNC (IT Solutions) Ltd Email: mfewtrell@tncit.co.uk Web: http://www.tncit.co.uk

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Martyn,

Your account was likely upgraded to our latest release last week, which includes some changes for users on Windows 8. We made some changes to ensure the best experience when supporting customers.  To ensure the best experience on Windows 8 it was necessary to disable support for providing and receiving remote assistance.  This is a feature we want to implement in a future release as we know how valuable it is.

We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by mfewtrell Monday, February 25, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Martyn,

Your account was likely upgraded to our latest release last week, which includes some changes for users on Windows 8. We made some changes to ensure the best experience when supporting customers.  To ensure the best experience on Windows 8 it was necessary to disable support for providing and receiving remote assistance.  This is a feature we want to implement in a future release as we know how valuable it is.

We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by mfewtrell Monday, February 25, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy reply John

Your explanation makes sense as I notice my workstation now has Windows Intune antivirus rather than the Win 8 antivirus which would presumably also tie in.

I'm sure you are aware but I cant emphasise enough that this is very frustrating as it worked without issue on my installation of Win 8. It will also lead to issues when I move onto a Surface Pro which I was hoping would be my mobile support option to replace my aging laptop!

I'm not sure what issues you were experiencing but as I mentioned I have regularly serviced 3 or 4 clients in a day over the last few months without any connection issues.

I don't know what influence you have but hopefully the powers to be will appreciate just how important this will be to most partners.

Not expecting a response (you have already said it above)

Regards

Martyn Fewtrell
    martynfewtrell@tncit.co.uk

Martyn Fewtrell TNC (IT Solutions) Ltd Email: mfewtrell@tncit.co.uk Web: http://www.tncit.co.uk

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hi Martyn,

We always appreciate the feedback.  I would highly encourage you to also sent a feedback survey to us via our Feedback Tool located here:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en-us;2925&altStyle=MFE&renderOption=OverrideDefault&showpage=1&fr=1&nofrbrand=1

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Has this still not been enabled for Windows 8 clients?  This question was made several months ago now.

In the Windows Intune Center the option appears to be unavailable.

Windows 8.1 is about to be released, so how long will it take for that to be enabled once Windows 8 users have upgraded to it through Windows Update?

Thanks.
    • Edited by Jason Gomez Monday, September 9, 2013 8:46 PM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 8:45 PM
  • I just tried this on Win 8.1 today and can confirm that it's not possible to respond to a remote support request via Win 8.1

(I'm hoping that this is because there is a bit update to easy assist on the way that includes both voice chat, and support for ultra low bandwidth....hint hint)

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hello,

With remote assistance being one of Intune key services I don't quite understand why this is not being fixed for Win 8/8.1. This thread is over a year old and the issue remains.

Is there some other route I should follow to enable this functionality? Did the feature get deprecated?

Regards,

Berry

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:35 PM
  • I'm giving an Intune presentation to an MS community meeting in Ireland on Friday, is Remote Assistance working in 8.1/8 for Intune yet?

I'll start another thread in the Intune forum relating to my presentation, if you have any questions you think would be worth examining, please look out for the thread in the main Intune Commercial technet forum.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Unless its changed in the last few days you can now host a support session using easy assist on Windows 8 again but cannot request remote support. This at least allows me to support clients from my Surface Pro.

I find it quite ridiculous that you still cant request a support session from Win 8 after all this time.

The option currently says

"Remote Assistance is not supported on this version of Windows"

Its a real shame as it spoils an otherwise good product.

Martyn Fewtrell

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:23 AM