Exchange Admin Center | Mail Flow | Delivery Reports: Why can't I search for messages received from "anyone"? RRS feed

• Question

• When setting up delivery reports, I can select a Mailbox, click "Search for messages sent to:" and leave the user list blank, resulting in a display of all email sent by that user. (Great!) However, if I click "Search for messages received from:", EAC does not allow me to leave the user list blank, and show all incoming mail for that mailbox. It says, "To search for messages received from someone, you have to select a sender." Why? What if I don't know all of the senders?

Furthermore, if I do know what senders to search for, I have to search for them one at a time. As it is, I have to do a separate search for each individual sender. (For messages sent to..., I can stack up several recipients into one search.)

Doug Landholt

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:00 PM

Answers

• For example: Trying to follow the instructions at

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351138%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I crafted the following:

$Temp = Search-MessageTrackingReport -Identity "Bradley J. Zuber"  -BypassDelegateChecking
    Get-MessageTrackingReport $Temp.MessageTrackingReportID -ReportTemplate Summary

the Search command seems to work, but when I try the Get, it says...

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert the "System.Collections.ArrayList"
    value of type "System.Collections.ArrayList" to type "Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Tracking.MessageTrackingReportId".
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-MessageTrackingReport], ParameterBindin...mationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Get-MessageTrackingReport

Doug Landholt

How about:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipients user@contoso.com -Start "03/30/2017"

if you have multiple Exch servers:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipients user@contoso.com -Start "03/30/2017"

Exchange 2007 reaches end of life on April 11th. What’s your plan to move?

• Marked as answer by Doug at CONIX Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:35 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:53 PM

All replies

• When setting up delivery reports, I can select a Mailbox, click "Search for messages sent to:" and leave the user list blank, resulting in a display of all email sent by that user. (Great!) However, if I click "Search for messages received from:", EAC does not allow me to leave the user list blank, and show all incoming mail for that mailbox. It says, "To search for messages received from someone, you have to select a sender." Why? What if I don't know all of the senders?

Furthermore, if I do know what senders to search for, I have to search for them one at a time. As it is, I have to do a separate search for each individual sender. (For messages sent to..., I can stack up several recipients into one search.)

Doug Landholt

Use Get-MessageTrackingLog or Get-MessageTrackingReport instead. The EAC option is awful.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:06 PM
  • I assume those commands are used in the PowerShell, which I absolutely hate. I've tried to follow one example after another from technet, and always run into problems.

Doug Landholt

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:35 PM

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351138%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I crafted the following:

$Temp = Search-MessageTrackingReport -Identity "Bradley J. Zuber"  -BypassDelegateChecking

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert the "System.Collections.ArrayList"
    value of type "System.Collections.ArrayList" to type "Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Tracking.MessageTrackingReportId".
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-MessageTrackingReport], ParameterBindin...mationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Get-MessageTrackingReport

Doug Landholt

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:52 PM
  • The command you tried works with single report ID. For multiple messages, the following commands work well in my environment:

$Temp = Search-MessageTrackingReport -Identity xxx -Recipients "yyy@contoso.com" -BypassDelegateChecking

$Temp | where-object{Get-MessageTrackingReport -Identity $_.MessageTrackingReportID -ReportTemplate Summary -BypassDelegateChecking}

Feel free to let us know if you still encounter any problem.

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help. It will help other forum members to find the useful replies more easily, and inspire people to help each other.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:42 PM

I crafted the following:

Doug Landholt

How about:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipients user@contoso.com -Start "03/30/2017"

if you have multiple Exch servers:

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipients user@contoso.com -Start "03/30/2017"

• Marked as answer by Doug at CONIX Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:35 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Thanks, Jessie. 

This command appears to provide information on emails being sent by the Identity. I need information on incoming messages received by the Identity.

Doug Landholt

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:13 PM