My windows 7 keeps freezing randomly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I know there were similar questions asked, but I already tried some things like registry cleaning software, and freezing still keeps comming back so I feel like I need a specific and interactive help.

So my windows freezes from time to time, today it was every couple minutes while browsing internet through firefox mostly, and single freeze takes from several seconds to minutes.

Right here for a similar problem I've found suggestion to collect minidump files:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b9c932b4-5926-4f92-b186-c4f90bb86583/windows-7-keeps-freezing-randomly?forum=w7itproperf

I can do it too, if there is someone here to listen :) and will further help me continue solving this. Thanks.

Tom

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Share the minidump. Also check event logs.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Friday, June 13, 2014 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Many reasons for that... It is hard to help you this way, too much info needed. Check disk, check temperatures... Via remote I could find couse in 5 minutes....

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Thank you both. So far there are no freezes (how ironic) to see the minidumps; last time was forabout 30 minutes  after I restarted my pc and since than I was only putting it to sleep. I'll report back if it will occur again.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Ok, so I got some freezes just moments ago and went to collect minidump files. When I tried this:

Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

...it found no elements matching.

Yesterday I've done everything like suggested here:

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

...except where it sais 128kb I had only option 256kb

so what is going on?  no minidump folder under my windows folder...

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

The MiniDump files are usually created under C:\WINDOWS\Minidump, look for it from there.

If it doesn't exist, follow this article to check your configuration:

How to configure Windows to create MiniDump files on BSOD

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:47 AM
  • Your PC Hard Drive could be failing. Run a diagnostics to be sure. If you need assistance with running diagnostics, let us know. Here's a guide for a Dell PC.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=&l=&s=&docid=DSN_300428

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:25 PM
  • TT

We can use both the DMP files and the event viewer files

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Any Status on this issue?
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:39 PM