Deployment stops at "Network Type?" and a few other quick Q's RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again!

I've got my MDT 2012 Golden Image working but a new thing began happening recently after the most recent SYSPREP/ NEW DEPLOY.

Sysprep ran without error.

Deployment now stops asking me what type of "NETWORK?" this is, you know, Home, Work, Public?  Once this happens, I THINK it basically stops the other steps....

Example, it doesn't join the domain, though it's instructed to do so (manually). It fails to rename the workstation to my nomenclature WRKLEN####, and this too is a manual step.  Both of these worked flawlessly before....  Granted it's not a difficult thing to workaround, but I really shouldn't have to.   I NEVER see the "deploy successful screen any longer, hence why I'm asking...

What should I look for?

Thanks for the help gang!

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:42 PM

All replies

• Sounds like it's not adding that info to your unattend file. The network part you can edit and enter that into your unattend, but the workstation name should be done by MDT. It's harder to guess and what might be happening/not happening without looking at logs.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:28 PM
  • The manual step I mention earlier is during the initial bootup and connecting..  My WKSTN naming is manually entered and not part of any script or anything, just the aforementioned "WRKLEN####" which is the last 4 of serial number.  Same goes for joining the domain, (We do not add an OU in this case)

Where am I digging for this log, I'm about to build another PC, so it'll be a fresh log...Thanks!

• Edited by BWB Mark Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:45 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Before I get into the rest, first let me ask how are you building your image? Was this on a physical machine that you rerun sysprep on? Sysprep has a 3 run limit.

For the most part MDT is a bunch of scripts. Even if you manually enter the workstation name during the wizard, MDT will add that to the unattend file when the ZTIConfigure script runs. In the BDD.log file you would see when the unattend file is copied to the C:\MININT folder and shortly afterward you'll see that MDT updates it with the values that were provided either via the wizard or customsettings.

If the computer you are deploying to doesn't get to the finish screen, then it's not done (unless you used skipfinalsummary). Go to MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS to find the logs.

You could also temporarily turn on dynamic logging to troubleshoot a problem. Do that by adding SLShareDynamicLogging=\\SERVER\SHARE$ to customsettings.  It's up to you but I like to create a new log share so that if I need to enable dynamic logging they aren't mixed in with the regular logs.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Thx Dan, here goes...

The latest builds are on my local wkstn using 'VMWARE WORKSTATION 11.1.2'. This is the first time we've used it. Normally we had it on our VMWARE server.

I create a new Sysprep step each time*. It was reused for the *first time yesterday simply as a test. (Same issue, network/wkstn name etc)

I do not have SkipFinalSummary enabled.

Running into a few meeting shortly so I'll post the logs shortly. Thanks for the help thus far though Dan.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Update:  MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS ..... there's 18 files there. Most are logs. I'm assuming the ones I want are likely BDD.LOG and maybe LITETOUCH.LOG??

BDD is huge... anything in particular I should look out for? And lastly, *IF* I paste it here, does it contain any of my companies important details that should not be public? Like Domain, or I.P. or ???

Thanks!

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:53 PM
  • You'll want to post it to something like OneDrive and share the link here. Passwords are suppressed, but if you have product keys, IP addresses you want to hide, then you'll need to redact that yourself.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:07 PM
  • You will want to use CMTrace to read the logs.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36213

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 8:12 PM