Restarting list of Mail Merge Receipients RRS feed

• Question

• I have merged a Word (2003) document with an Access 2003 list of students and created a page showing the name/surname of the pupil, enabling me to enter marks for tests/exams in adjoining columns.

I have a number of pages (one for each subject) and it works fine for the first page. However, I cannot get it to start again with the list of names on subsequent pages. I have entered on the subsequent pages, the merge fields (the first pupil's name/surname, followed by <next record>) but the results are blank. It does not seem to restart the list. Can any one assist, as I am having to save the document as an ordinary Word document, copy and paste the results on the subsequent pages.

Thank you

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:31 AM

Answers

• In a letter merge, there is no need to re-start anything. It simply runs from the first record to the last, processing each in turn. What you're describing seems to suggest you have a copy of the same letter for each record - which is why you need the «NextRecord» field. All you need is a single copy of each letter and no «NextRecord» field. Word will then produce a set of letters for the first record, another for the second record, and so on.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:56 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please click on “Edit individual Letters” and make sure “All” bullet is checked.

Here is a screenshot for Word 2013 (Sorry I don't have Word 2003 environment):

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Are you using a letter merge? If so, you should not need the «NextRecord» field - indeed, that would cause records to be skipped. Simply choose 'Merge to New Document' from the mailmerge toolbar (or press Alt-Shift-N).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Thank you for your help. I am using a letter merge. However, I do have to put in 'next record', as otherwise it will only repeat the same over and over again. It is not skipping any records. I just can't seem to get it to start from the first name again, on the new page. Can you help?
    Friday, November 1, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Thank you for your help. I am using a letter merge and ALL has been selected, as you suggest. However, I just can't seem to get it to start from the first name again, on the new page. Can you help?
    Friday, November 1, 2013 11:56 AM
  • In a letter merge, there is no need to re-start anything. It simply runs from the first record to the last, processing each in turn. What you're describing seems to suggest you have a copy of the same letter for each record - which is why you need the «NextRecord» field. All you need is a single copy of each letter and no «NextRecord» field. Word will then produce a set of letters for the first record, another for the second record, and so on.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:56 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Thank you again for your reply.

It is running perfectly from the first record to the last (i.e. the full list of 25 pupils) and all the names are coming up on the first page

However, when I want to repeat this process again on the next page and subsequent pages, it just does not start the list of pupils again.

Can I trouble you for your further advice please?

Thank you.

Friday, November 8, 2013 10:21 AM
  • But that's all a mailmerge does - it runs through all the records once. It doesn't restart anything.

It seems to me you've created a letter for each record, using NextRecord fields to populate each one, followed by another set of letters with the same setup. That's not how a letter mailmerge works. There should be only one copy of each letter and, ordinarily, no NextRecord fields.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Could I have your email address so that I can I send you a sample of what I am trying to achieve? 

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:10 AM
  • I'd rather not share my email address.

You could upload your file (delete/obfuscate anything sensitive) to one of the free file-hosting websites (e.g. http://www.4shared.com/) and post a link here. Later, you can delete the link and the hosted file if you prefer.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Link is:

http://www.4shared.com/office/TvFWTe6n/Mark_Book12-13__8__Microsof_Fo.html?

Monday, November 18, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Hi Shloime,

The problem with your document is that it is laid out in a way that is not consistent with how mailmerges are ordinarily done. To do the mailmerges, you'll need to use four separate mailmerge documents and execute each of the merges individually. This part could be automated with a macro (perhaps run from Access), so you don't need to manually do the four merges.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Actually there is in excess of 50 such pages in this book!

Have never run a Macro. Could you advise me?

Thank you again for your continued assistance.

Friday, November 22, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Running a macro isn't at all complicated. What can be complicated is writing it. In this case, since I know little of your setup, I'm really not in a position to do that. 

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, November 22, 2013 10:40 AM