Need Vista driver for Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know where i can find this driver?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:53 AM

All replies

• Yep - I need that too - Well done microsoft - whats the frikkin point of a compatability tester (downloaded installed and run prior to my install with no issues) if it wont highlight the fact that my RAID controller isn't supported, or my sound card, or any of my TV cards.

Pretty basic stuff...

Just in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:32 PM
  • Advisor points out that Vista has no drivers for Promise SATA378 controllers (Promise advises users that they do  offer support for those chipsets).  While I'm not pleased with MS vista (as my system is a 64 bit system), it's the MoBo mfr that has me greatly upset as they don't list a vista driver for the Promise controller. As long as they've had to put something together, it appears that the MoBo mfr is attempting to force users to upgrade by not providing vista drivers.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Hello

Since this is an onboard controller you can only get this from the MotherBoard manufacturer. I've a asus p4c800 deluxe MB. I used the Promise SATA 378 IDE driver that came along with the asus driver CD.

It works fine (just don't forget to set it to IDE in the bios) even it 's a xpdriver.

So try to look on your driver CD that came along with your MB

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry if I have jumped to a wrong place to ask my query. However, as it is on a very similar problem with a similar motherboard, I am mentioning it here.

I have the same Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller on a ASUS P4P-800-E-Deluxe motherboard.

It was a very very long time before I got Vista to see the two drives that I have on the Promise Controller. However, from past one week, there is some problem. Initially, BIOS refused to see the drive and the settings were disappearing every time from IDE to RAID. I got this fixed by changing the battery on motherboard.

However, soon after that although BIOS recognizes both the drives and the diagnostic utilities in DOS mode from Seagate and Western Digital (two drives on controller) see no problems on the drives either in quick check or extended check mode, Vista does not seem to recognize one of the drives and hangs while booting. I even tried Spinrite v6 in DOS mode from www.grc.com on it in both recovery mode (level 2) and drive scrubbing mode (level 4) and it works fine. So there is definitely no problem with drive. If I disable the Promise Controller in BIOS, Vista boots.

I suspect that this might be due to driver corruption for SATA378 in Vista. How do I reinstall the driver if Vista does not boot.

Also, one more query. When Vista used to see the drives, it will not allow me to disable disk caching on these two drives. Any way I can do this too will be a bonus benefit.

Right now, I am stuck and cannot use Vista at all as it will not boot.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:03 AM