none
PS2010 - Project Site Provisioning Settings - Project Site Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• If the option is selected, are there any projects that will not have the permissions synced to the project site?  I would like to not update the security on the 5000+ closed/completed project sites as this takes an excessive amount of SQL resources, especially when the Team Members group has grown to more than 500 users.

I changed the Team Members category setting of 'View Project Sites' to unselected so changes to the group membership will not initiate a bulk project sync.  This was bringing my server to its knees.  Site sync now takes only a few seconds to reset security for ~40 users (per site).  

If Project Mangers membership changes, the auto-sync will initiate over 5000 jobs to have all users removed and readded back to each project site.  Even at 90 seconds per site, this will take hours and block the queue.  If I could instead have it only sync against the Active or at least non-archived project the time would be reduced to less than an hour.

Monday, June 9, 2014 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Project Server Sync will be for all the users if a ERP Sync or User Sync is invoked. However you can perform a Site Synchronization from Project Sites link in Server Settings.

Ideally, it would be best if you can take a backup of the closed or completed projects so that the backup is available in Archive DB. Once the backup is complete delete these projects from the Draft and Published DB's.

This should meet your requirements and also will have less number of projects in display whenever a user is trying to work on any of the projects.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Greg Appelt Monday, June 9, 2014 9:03 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 7:03 PM