none
Protection wizard didn't ask me which disk I wanted to use. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a storage array attached to the server. The storage array consists of a 6TB disk (disk1) and another 6TB disk (disk2).

I added the two disks  under Disks

I HAD planned to protect "server A" and "server B" on Disk1
    and "server C" on Disk2

I can't touch server B and server C till the weekend so I had a go at protecting  server A.

I expected to be able to specify which disk the protective data was stored on but all it asked was how big the reolica and recovery volumes should be. No reference was made to which disk.

Am I missing something?

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The DPM storage pool is managed by DPM and space is utilized to maximize performance and usage.  You can use "custom volumes" if you have specific requirements to place backups on separate disks, however, DPM will not manage (auto-grow) custom volumes.  

Define Custom Volume

FYI - You CAN use the same disks that are already in the DPM storage pool to hold the custom volumes.

See this thread for screen shots for selecting customer volumes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The DPM storage pool is managed by DPM and space is utilized to maximize performance and usage.  You can use "custom volumes" if you have specific requirements to place backups on separate disks, however, DPM will not manage (auto-grow) custom volumes.  

Define Custom Volume

FYI - You CAN use the same disks that are already in the DPM storage pool to hold the custom volumes.

See this thread for screen shots for selecting customer volumes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:03 PM
  • I'm in two minds. I like the idea of separating the servers onto different disks (custom volumes), but you lose flexibility.

Hmmmmm......

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:41 PM