none
ADC With New Hardware

Question

• Hi, We are having Win2k8 R2 PDC and ADC on different locations. Few days back due to hardware failure we bought new system for ADC. Now we want to configure ADC on this new system. So can we use old system hostname for this ADC ? If yes then is there any need to do changes in PDC. Or Shall we use new hostname for ADC. Please guide asap.

Friday, January 27, 2017 6:41 AM

All replies

• Dear,

First you have to seize the old failed Additional Domain Controller from the domain and need to move all the roles to other domain controller if it has any.

I there is no role present on your failed ADC you can execute the metadata cleanup. 

For that you have to use ntdsutil command to do the meta data cleanup.

Once you have cleaned the metadata, kindly look in the site and service for the old object presence. if present you can delete from the console.

Now you can add the new server to the domain with the same hostname.

Thanks

Syed Abdul Kadar M.

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Hi, We are having Win2k8 R2 PDC and ADC on different locations. Few days back due to hardware failure we bought new system for ADC. Now we want to configure ADC on this new system. So can we use old system hostname for this ADC ? If yes then is there any need to do changes in PDC. Or Shall we use new hostname for ADC. Please guide asap.

Hi

If you need to use new server as old hostname,first you should remove the old dc from domain.Check all records removed from domain.(ADDS,DNS,DFS,etc..)If needs (means the dc become unavaible.) perfrom metadata cleanup.

When done you can add new server as old hostname and ip.Also if you transfer fsmo roles to this new dc,this will become your PDC.

Metadata cleanup; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396

Note: You should take a full backup before process.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, January 27, 2017 11:06 AM
  • You can re-use the same IP and hostname.

First you need to identify the current FSMO roles holder by running netdom query fsmo. If it is not holded by an up and running DC then you need to size them. Once done, you need to perform a metadata cleanup: Run dsa.msc and remove the faulty DC computer account then run dssite.msc and remove the faulty DC NTDS settings then its reference there.

After that, you can promote your new DC and re-use the same IP and computer name.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, January 30, 2017 12:03 AM