BSOD in Vista due to NVSTOR.SYS RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning all,

I've recently become one of the thousands who are becoming frustrated with a nasty, recurring BSOD. When it shows, this is the jist of the message I get:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then all the speak about reinstalling drivers, removing recently installed hardware, et al.

NVSTOR.SYS Address 804063c4, Base at 80402000, datestamp: 458d543d

My system config is as follows:

HP a1710n

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (running at 2.20Ghz)

1024Mb RAM

NVidia GeForce 7600GS Graphics Card

Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)

I have run numerous memtests, scan disks and have reinstalled the BIOS, Graphics and Sound drivers to no avail. I know the NVSTOR.SYS file is from the graphics card, so have focused most of my attention there, but now I am starting to draw a blank. I have noticed that it crashes more after running Flight Simulator, but then FS is vista approved, so I see no reason to remove it (or the other vista approved add ons to it!). My Graphics Card is Vista approved too...or so it said so!

Is there anything else that I could do to make the system more stable, or is this a "wait it out and see" game? (pardon the pun)

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:54 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same issue with my Dell E521  and I note the correlation with a lot of Flight  Simulator X flying.

E521

AMD 64X2 4400+

3 GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce 7950GT

Sigmatel HD audion (internal)

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I had this problem but it is gone now. Why? I reduced my overclock speed.

After one tick down the problem was less frequent but still going on.

After two ticks down it was very rarely happening.

After three ticks down it has not reoccurred for many weeks now.

If you are not overclocking I'd suggest relaxing memory timings or if that fails, replacing memory with a more "robust" brand of memory.

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:00 AM
  • The a1710n system did not originally ship with the nvstor.sys driver.

It shipped with the Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller driver.

You probably installed a driver from Windows Update that caused this BSOD to occur.

You can download the patch here from the OEM's website to fix the issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340227&lang=en

Note: You may have 2-3 storage controllers. For this particular system, they all need to be running the in-box MS driver.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 9:41 PM
  • I am also now becoming very frustrated with this issue!  I recently bought a DELL 630XPS and began to edit and store my home movies on it. After a few weeks, the BSOD appeared, with the same error previously mentioned in this thread.  I cleaned my backup off and started to re-backup some 300gb of video data and then the whole system went and the HDD's were no more.  DELL replaced them with WD disks - I have now been running for 2 weeks and the same thing is happening again - from a complete reinstall!  It is due to this NVSTOR.SYS file - can I replace this file with anything ?

Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:13 PM
  • hi folks

this might be a little bit late, but here is what i experienced

i recently installed windows 7 beta 1 7000 - 64-bit with the following configuration:

2x2gb corsair ram

2x1gb corsair ram

(6gb total in pc)

evga nforce 780i motherboard

and everything was installed correctly with no problems what soever. itunes didnt work on 64bit, so i decided to go back to vista 32bit....

i left all the hardware in my machine as is, then got the nvstor.sys error when i tried to install it.

i then removed the 2x1gb modules, (4gb total in pc), tried to install again, and it worked! no more BSOD errors.

something tells me that the driver nvstor.sys (Nvidia Storage System Driver - not GFX !!) in 32bit mode isnt made for 6gb ram, resulting in an error. or maybe the amount of ram sticks? i dont know? only nvidia/ms could answer this one.

so, to come to a conclusion, do not install more than 4gb of sticks in your pc, if you have a nvidia ide controller.

regards,

Riaan de Lange

Aqox
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:50 AM
  • i'm clueless as to what is causing this issue. ive had my machine for over a year and it just in the last month started happening. at first it was rare but became more and more frequent, to the point that i had to try to boot up my computer 8 times + before it would stop BSOD'ing me or forcing a restart... I recently reformatted and it was fine for a few days now i just got it again for the first time. i haven't added any new hardware when it started with the BSOD so i dunno what the heck is going on.

i am running.
    Vista Ultimate 32bit
    quad core 2.66ghz
    4gig ram
    nvidia 8800gts 640mb
    ASUS P5N-E SLI Mainboard
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Also try and turn off NCQ / Native Command Queuing. This fixed a PC I had last week with similar issues after trying different nvidia drivers which only helped a little. 

Right click on My Computer, select "Properties Select "Device Manager". Find "Storage Controllers" and for each "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" select Properties, and uncheck "Enable Command Queuing" option. 

You may also need to try swapping SATA ports - many others seemed to have success with this. Others found updating their DVD firmware (yes!) or BIOS worked. Nice range of solutions to this problem!! Good luck!
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:57 PM