none
How to detect AIO using WMI query? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to detect AIO under Win32_SystemEnclosure, ChassisTypes. It returns an array with a value 13. Since it returns an array i cannot use the traditional method from WMI query.

1) I have searched online and people have been recommending using a custom scripts. but how to I actually apply it to my TS?

2) I have looked through ZTIGather and i saw that that is where all the logic is for the detection of desktop and laptop. Can i modify it by adding bIsAIO and declaring it at the top. Will the TS be able to read this "Custom" variable of mine?

Friday, October 7, 2016 12:35 PM

All replies

• I would strongly advise you do not make custom modifications to the MDT scripts. They will be lost if you upgrade to a new version or you might forget about your modifications or worse yet break MDT.

Adding a custom script to MDT is pretty easy. Just copy your script to the Scripts folder in your deployment share. In your TS you would then add either a "Run PowerShell Script" or "Run Command Line"

Running a PowerShell script:

Running a VBscript:

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:14 PM
  • I would strongly advise you do not make custom modifications to the MDT scripts. They will be lost if you upgrade to a new version or you might forget about your modifications or worse yet break MDT.

Adding a custom script to MDT is pretty easy. Just copy your script to the Scripts folder in your deployment share. In your TS you would then add either a "Run PowerShell Script" or "Run Command Line"

Running a PowerShell script:

Running a VBscript:

Ok, I will write a script, similar to ZTIGather. But by creating a new custom TS variable, for example, IsAIO, do i need to first declare it somewhere
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 1:43 AM
  • This will be right up your alley.

Creating custom variable in MDT

Monday, October 10, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Generally, I discourage using the Chassis Type to drive the Task Sequence, I have found plenty of examples where the OEM didn't implement the value correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Would Make/Model work?
    Are you looking for a Touch Screen? Can we query against the presence of Touch, the absence of a Battery, etc...

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Generally, I discourage using the Chassis Type to drive the Task Sequence, I have found plenty of examples where the OEM didn't implement the value correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Would Make/Model work?
    Are you looking for a Touch Screen? Can we query against the presence of Touch, the absence of a Battery, etc...

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

I understand your concern. But so far, those AIOs in our environment have chassis type as the right value from different manufacturers and bought during "different times". I am of course open to other suggestions.

Make/model would work but is not ideal as, i need to add it whenever we have a new AIO model. If i am still the one handling the MDT server, i definitely will remember. But i will need to pass on the system one day.

I would say, currently all of our AIOs are touch-capable. These AIO has no battery (as in like laptop battery). So i am not sure what is unique is to an AIO.

Friday, October 14, 2016 12:18 AM