IE 9 Does Not Allow Access To Web Site RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 with IE 9. Others in my office can access this secure site with the same hardware and software. I contacted the site for support but they could not determine why I am being blocked. They reset my IE settings to default, I added the site to my trusted sites, I have the security settings at med-low. The site I contacted tried my id on a virtual machine and it worked. Is there any way with the developer tools to determine what is blocking my access? The site just displays a white screen when I try to open it.

I also added the site to my trusted sites with my virus checker and firewall.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:00 PM

Answers

• If I turn off the Base filtering engine and dependant services I gain access to the web site.

Huh?

<cmd_output>

C:\>net start | find /i "base"
       Base Filtering Engine

C:\>sc GetKeyName "Base Filtering Engine"
    [SC] GetServiceKeyName SUCCESS
    Name = BFE

C:\>sc qc BFE
    [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: BFE
            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
            START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START
            ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
            BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
            LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   : NetworkProvider
            TAG                : 0
            DISPLAY_NAME       : Base Filtering Engine
            DEPENDENCIES       : RpcSs
                               : WfpLwfs
            SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\LocalService

C:\>sc GetDisplayName WfpLwfs
    [SC] GetServiceDisplayName SUCCESS
    Name = Microsoft Windows Filtering Platform

</cmd_output>

Never heard of them.   You left  RpcSs  alone I imagine?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366510(v=vs.85).aspx

<quote>

Windows Filtering Platform is a development platform and not a firewall itself.

</quote>

So, what is your firewall?  Check to see if it is squawking about this change?  (e.g. via Event log or its own log.)   Use ProcMon to see any other consequences from your change.   Note that you could use ProcMon to create two traces, one with the change and one without, so you could then compare them for their essential differences.  ProcMon allows multiple instances of itself to run if they are using different logs.   FWIW I would start with a really coarse filter such as  Operation Is WriteFile

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:02 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:16 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The site just displays a white screen when I try to open it.

Use View Source.   Is the source there and it is just not rendering?   In that case try a different User-Agent string or Document mode.  Otherwise use the Network Capture tool to see what is going on.  If the meaning in the trace is unclear compare with a NC from an otherwise identical machine which does not have the problem symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:57 PM
    Answerer
  • I tried the view source and believe this code is blociking the loading of the page

"ssoCookie 0 at server: blkcookie=gUr59oXlJsqfDsv4jS3K/SZH3pw=; path=/; domain=.adp.com"

+"<p />"

I am also not sure if this is telling me that cookies are being blocked?

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:59 AM
  • I am also not sure if this is telling me that cookies are being blocked?

Or maybe "bulk" cookies?   <eg>

In any case, the page you have loaded is not "blank", just not being rendered.  Have you tried any of the workarounds or diagnostics I mentioned?  Another possibility would be trying to see what your source looks like by turning off All CSS.  You can do that using the View menu, Style, No Style  (Alt-V y N) or in the Developer Tools, Disable menu.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I had other issues today will get back on moday. Thanks!!!!
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:26 PM
  • HTML1200: adp.com is on the Internet Explorer Compatibility View List ('C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml').
    File: www.adp.com

Rob^_^

Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:40 AM
  • I turned off the styles and did a view of the source code

Not sure if there is an issue with java? It seems to freeze when java code begins.

<TITLE>Global Framework LaunchPad</TITLE>
    </HEAD>

<BODY id='body00' onload='onLoad();'>
    <div id='display'>
    </div>

<FORM id="LaunchPad" method="post" enctype="application/x-wwww-form-urlencoded">
      <input type="hidden" name="PECred" value="oQMEdv34MrobvIfXMIMuGayxI9ZD2PkyaAlepXGRFyIFe5vtMEs8q8Pf2Jok7rzCn0tWhegEpcgUDoBLYqeelw==">
      <input type="hidden" name="PECredHash" value="Q5bheSiN6+lIAaj+v59raVIN0k8=">
      <input type="hidden" name="logoEntitlement" value="">
      <input type="hidden" name="backEntitlement" value="">
      <input type="hidden" name="tok4" value="1239">
    </FORM>
    <script language='javascript'>
            var formItem = LaunchPad;

var queryString = "AutoLaunch=Y&buttons=off&final=cleanup&app=GI%3AGO&app=BPSBTS";
            if (queryString == "null") {
                queryString = "";
            }

</script>          

<SCRIPT language="javascript">  

function onLoad() {
        if ("true" == "false") {
            document.getElementById("display").innerHTML =
                "The data passed to the LaunchPad is invalid.<br />";

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:21 PM
  • I turned off the styles and did a view of the source code

Did you see anything then?

This source would appear blank.

Not sure if there is an issue with java?

There is no "java" shown here, just javascript.  So, if Java is an issue and is installed you could remove it to see if your symptoms change.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:02 PM
    Answerer
  • This is a web site I am trying to access, not onw I am designing. I cannot change the code. Other users in my office can access the site, and I am trying to determine why I cannot access the site?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:00 PM
  • I did some trouble shooting and discovered by turning off different services I gained access to the web site. If I turn off the Base filtering engine and dependant services I gain access to the web site. Do you know what settings I need to change to allow the Base Filtering Engine a web site access? I have the web site domain in the trusted zones.
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:17 PM
  • If I turn off the Base filtering engine and dependant services I gain access to the web site.

Huh?

<cmd_output>

C:\>net start | find /i "base"
       Base Filtering Engine

C:\>sc GetKeyName "Base Filtering Engine"
    [SC] GetServiceKeyName SUCCESS
    Name = BFE

C:\>sc qc BFE
    [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: BFE
            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
            START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START
            ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
            BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
            LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   : NetworkProvider
            TAG                : 0
            DISPLAY_NAME       : Base Filtering Engine
            DEPENDENCIES       : RpcSs
                               : WfpLwfs
            SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\LocalService

C:\>sc GetDisplayName WfpLwfs
    [SC] GetServiceDisplayName SUCCESS
    Name = Microsoft Windows Filtering Platform

</cmd_output>

Never heard of them.   You left  RpcSs  alone I imagine?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366510(v=vs.85).aspx

<quote>

Windows Filtering Platform is a development platform and not a firewall itself.

</quote>

So, what is your firewall?  Check to see if it is squawking about this change?  (e.g. via Event log or its own log.)   Use ProcMon to see any other consequences from your change.   Note that you could use ProcMon to create two traces, one with the change and one without, so you could then compare them for their essential differences.  ProcMon allows multiple instances of itself to run if they are using different logs.   FWIW I would start with a really coarse filter such as  Operation Is WriteFile

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:02 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:16 PM
    Answerer