SQL Server Reporting Service on a Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Considering the prohibitive cost of SQL Azure Reporting Services, I was wondering if there was some way in which we could lower the cost per hour for reporting service usage.

I see that if I choose a Large VM with SQL Server 2008 R2 I end up paying $0.55/hr + 0.46/hr(http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/details/#virtual-machines). So can I expect that with $0.0x/hr we could use SSRS on the same machine some time in future?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:30 AM

Answers

• Basic reason for posting this question was that I was trying to get my head around the licensing world of SQL Server and was exploring the cheapest option we could give for using Reporting Service on Azure. I think I understand this better now and here is a summary of the same.

Quoting from "SQL Server 2008 Pricing and Licensing"

The Business Intelligence components for SQL Server 2008 include Analysis Services, Reporting Services, and Integration Services. To use any of these components, the server on which Business Intelligence is installed must have a valid SQL Server 2008 license. If these components are in a separate server than the main database server, then they require an additional license of each additional server where they are installed.

So basically what I understand this to mean is that I would not have to pay anything extra to use Reporting Service if I am anyway paying for Virtual Machine and SQL Server ($0.55/hr + 0.46/hr).

• Edited by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen Chen - MSFT Monday, September 24, 2012 3:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Pooja,

Currently there is no way of reducing the price for using SSRS. the only way I could think of is to delete and re-create the servers as and when required.

Yes, I am pretty sure that Microsoft would come up with better pricing structure for reporting services in near future.

Regards,

Srinath Patil

• Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jiang Yun Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pooja Singh Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Basic reason for posting this question was that I was trying to get my head around the licensing world of SQL Server and was exploring the cheapest option we could give for using Reporting Service on Azure. I think I understand this better now and here is a summary of the same.

Quoting from "SQL Server 2008 Pricing and Licensing"

The Business Intelligence components for SQL Server 2008 include Analysis Services, Reporting Services, and Integration Services. To use any of these components, the server on which Business Intelligence is installed must have a valid SQL Server 2008 license. If these components are in a separate server than the main database server, then they require an additional license of each additional server where they are installed.

So basically what I understand this to mean is that I would not have to pay anything extra to use Reporting Service if I am anyway paying for Virtual Machine and SQL Server ($0.55/hr + 0.46/hr).

• Edited by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pooja Singh Friday, September 21, 2012 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen Chen - MSFT Monday, September 24, 2012 3:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Your analysis and proposed solution is the finest solution that I can think of.

In a case where you have a SQL server licence, you may want to use only Azure VM and install SQL server 2008 or above for which you already have a licence and reduce your costs further.

Regards,

Srinath Patil

• Proposed as answer by Lancers Monday, September 24, 2012 12:41 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 12:41 AM
  • See also this post and vote for a review of pricing here
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:35 PM