none
How to display resource list for summary tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to configure MS Project 2013 so that it displays in a resource column of the Gantt Chart view (eg, resource initials) for summary tasks the UNION of all resources assigned to its leaf subtasks. 

Say for example that I have a summary task S with 2 subtasks S1 & S2, S2 being itself divided into subsubtasks S21 & S22.

Say also that I have allocated resources R1,R2 to S1, resources R2 to S21 and resource R3 to S22.

With my current configuration, the resource initial column of both S2 and S are left blank.

Instead, I would like the resource column of S2 to display R2, R3 and the resource column of S to display R1, R2, R3.

The idea is to be able to visualize all the resources allocated to a summary tasks even when its decomposition in subtasks is hidden.

Thank you very in advance for suggestions on how to achieve this.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Damon,

It is not possible to do that in a simple way, since formulas refer to the task information and cannot look to other tasks in the project plan.

That being said, there are some VBA experts on this forum who will probably propose you a nice solution.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Damon --

I agree with Guillaume.  There is no default way to accomplish this, but it can be done through the user of VBA code.  The word of caution I would offer you is that you SHOULD NOT display the names of the resources in the Resource Names column on the summary tasks.  The reason is because doing so will tremendously increase both the Work value and the Cost value for the summary task.  I am assuming you care about work and cost, so adding names to the Resource Names column for the summary tasks is NOT a good thing.  If you are going to use VBA for this, I would recommend you use a Text field for this purpose instead, which will then not impact Work and Cost for the summary tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Damon,

I can write the macro for you but first let me offer a slightly different approach that may just give you the info you want.

Go to the Resource Usage view and apply the following grouping:

First by Name (that will be the resource)

Then by Task Summary Name (to pick up summary lines)

Check the option to group assignments, not resources and then change the field type for the task summary name to "assignment".

Try that. If it gets you close enough, great, but if not let me know if you still want a macro.

John

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:56 PM