none
Project Online Country groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, a global organisation is leveraging Project Online to manage their projects. There is requirement to grant (view) permissions to Country leads access to all of their respective country plans and project workspace sites (e.g. Denmark country lead will have access to all Denmark project plans and project workspace sites).

What is the best practice / recommendation in setting this up?

Will Country leads require Project Premium licenses?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, June 18, 2018 3:50 PM

All replies

• I think you could achieve this with a basic licence as all you are looking to do is share information contained in project plans and in project sites, this would all be accessible in PWA/Project Online client.

To achieve your objective I think employing the Project Permissions mode rather than SharePoint permissions mode would be the first step in the process - you can then consider defining a RBS that employs Geographic rather than organisational hierarchy - the assumption being that the people managing projects are in a specific country and the country lead would be above them in the RBS hierarchy. The final step in the process would be to ensure that Country Leads are in a security group that permits them to see plans managed by people that they manage - ostensibly people beneath them in the RBS hierarchy. 

I hope this makes sense and is easy to follow:

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, June 18, 2018 4:42 PM
  • As Dominic says, using a correctly configured RBS with Project Server Permission Mode will provide you with what you require.  The licence each country lead will require is Project Online Professional.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Monday, June 18, 2018 5:07 PM
  • GoodbyeWorld --

I agree totally with what my colleagues, Dominic and Ben, have told you about using RBS for this purpose.  RBS is absolutely the easiest way to address this interesting security need.

Be forewarned, however, that if your organization does not plan on using RBS, the only way of meeting this security requirement would be to create a custom Category and Group for each country.  That would be a LOT of work, my friend.  Hope this little bit of extra information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, June 18, 2018 8:40 PM
  • Hi all - appreciate the quick response!

We are using SharePoint permissions mode and have a strong preference to stick with it.

We have no issues creating a custom SharePoint group for each country and managing it. Could you elaborate a bit more on the solution regarding "create a custom Category and Group for each country"? Does this restrict permissions at the Project level?

Assuming the custom category and groups fits our purpose, would these users only require a project essential license?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:28 AM
  • I'm not going to comment on the SharePoint group / category conversation, however the Essentials licence is aimed at team members; if you added each country manager as a team member for each project within that country then the team member could have visibility of the project (read only via the web) and access to each project site. If you need anything more (using MS Project, access to reports via PowerBI etc) then another licence would be required.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:37 AM
  • GoodbyeWorld --

My comment about using Groups and Categories was based on the faulty assumption that your Project Online is running in Project Permissions mode.  You do not have the option of using Groups and Categories if you are running SharePoint Permissions mode.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:13 PM