How to get the Windows 10 1909 update via WSUS?? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen it said in another forum: 

"1909 can be enabled thru WSUS by looking for "Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1909.  It is NOT a security or critical patch, so if your WSUS is restricted to download only those, you will not see it.  After approval, the install is pretty quick thru Windows Update"

My question: To get this within WSUS, we must enable 'Feature Packs' in Updates and Classifications?? Or something else???????

If I add this item, what ELSE will be installed to all our computers and servers?? We don't want any unnecessary updates that could cause problems.

We presently have the Feature Updates and whatnot policies set to 'NOT Configured' to prevent the WSUS dual scan problem.

Thank you, Tom

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 6:12 PM

All replies

• My question: To get this within WSUS, we must enable 'Feature Packs' in Updates and Classifications?? Or something else???????

Hi Tom,

You need to enable the "Upgrades" classification.
    After adding this classification, you can approve feature updates for Windows 10 in WSUS. After waiting for the client computers to complete their status report, the approval prompts an upgrade of "Needed".

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:37 AM
  • Not work for me :(
    Friday, January 24, 2020 12:06 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 27, 2020 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

I set the correct products under classification but it doesn't show any Win 10 Upgrades in my WSUS. I am trying to upgrade my user clients from 1607 to 1809 or 1909 if possible. 

Thursday, January 30, 2020 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

I set the correct products under classification but it doesn't show any Win 10 Upgrades in my WSUS. I am trying to upgrade my user clients from 1607 to 1809 or 1909 if possible. 

/push
    Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Hello,

Not work for me.

I see Feature update to Win10 V1909 but the clients don't see these update.

Have you got another idea ?

thank you

Monday, March 2, 2020 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

I only see the feature update to 1903 but all of my test clients show their status as "Not Applicable" meaning the update is not possible on those machines. We use Windows 10 Education N and when approving the business edition updates, the status doesnt change, regardless of the version and language 1703/1809/1903.

WSUS server is a 2016

Update:When switching the language from german to english-us it shows that the update to 1903 de-de x64 is available for download.

Please respong Microsoft.

Thanks and regards

• Edited by DMM1925 Wednesday, March 4, 2020 9:01 AM update
    Monday, March 2, 2020 8:08 AM
  • Tom,

This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:

Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later versions

Classification: Upgrades

Thursday, March 5, 2020 8:16 PM
  • Tom,

This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:

Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later versions

Classification: Upgrades

Been there done that no updates appear. :)

Not gonna worry about it too much since I can eventually rebuild with 1909 or 2003 at some point.

Was just wondering if there really is a way to get the update via WSUS.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 8:44 PM
  • I had the configuration below and did not receive the upgrade updates for Windows 10 1909 and 2004.

Product: Windows 10
    Classification: All except drivers

By checking the product Windows 10, version 1903 and later, as suggested by tlyczko2, then my WSUS downloaded these upgrade updates.

Product: "Windows 10", "Windows 10, version 1903 and later"
    Classification: All except drivers

Alex Felipe Hilleshain MCP, MCDST, MCITP Windows 7

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:50 PM
  • The enablement package is a great option for installing a scoped feature update like Windows 10, version 1909 as it enables an update from version 1903 to version 1909 with a single restart, reducing update downtime. This enables devices to take advantage of new features now. For version 1903 devices that receive updates directly from Windows Update, devices automatically get the enablement package by installing the feature update to Windows 10, version 1909.

If a device is updating from Windows 10, version 1809 or an earlier version, this feature update enablement package cannot be manually installed. Instead, it is bundled and automatically included with the feature update to Windows 10, version 1909. Note the installation time is not reduced in this scenario.
    Friday, June 26, 2020 4:12 PM
  • Are you confused what package you should use? Enablement VS Upgrade Package?

See my blog post here for the answer:

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/windows-10-feature-upgrade-package-vs-enablement-package/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Saturday, June 27, 2020 3:37 AM
  • Also, for information of how to service Windows 10 with WSUS, look at part 3 of my 8 part blog series How to Setup, Manage, and Maintain WSUS

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-3-windows-as-a-service-waas-and-group-policy-administrative-templates/

Part 3 deals with the Windows as a Service side.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Saturday, June 27, 2020 3:39 AM
  • check necessarily version 1903 and later versions
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 9:51 AM