none
Clients computers have slow login or freezes after login when running Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 on company domain

Question

• Hi

I am hoping someone can help me out with this problem, as I am now don't know where to look more.

The problem is this.

My customer have been running Server 2012 R2 for a while now, and have a domain at Server 2012 level.

They use to run Windows 7 on their laptops, and everything was fine. All GPO and settings was working fine for them.

Then they started to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Then everything went wrong.

If an user takes his laptop of the company network, so he don't have access to the domain any more, and starts the computer up, then the systems hangs for a couple of minutes before the desktop are showed.

This is only if he are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

For this problem, I created a GPO and specified the "Configure Logon Script Delay" by setting this to Disabled.

This looked to be working, because the users where now able to logon a lot faster.

The next problem, (and this is what I can't seem to find a solution for), is that when an user now have log on the computer, without domain authentication, then they can start working, and a few minutes after they have log on their Laptops, the system simple freezes, and they can't do anything.

If they wait for a few minutes, then the system "wakes up" again, and everything will from this point run proper again.

However, that freeze, if driving people nuts.

I have received a laptop from my customer, and I cannot seem to reproduce the problem myself.

Therefore, I am hoping someone can give me some ideas to what to look for next and if someone knows, any good "settings" there could help me out.

My customer are running Lenovo laptops, but many different models.

Thanks

Friday, September 25, 2015 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there anything logged in event logs (System/application) after the PC gets out from the freeze, like SceCli errors/warnings or anything lese related? The slow logon that you mentioned solving by the logon script processing delay looks good but since you mentioned that system get frozen after user is logged in and user profile loaded looks weird to me.

Regards,

Calin

Monday, September 28, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Hi Rosenstand,

Thanks for your post.

Since you said you could not reproduce the problem, besides the event log,  I sugget you may also follow general steps to check the logon slow process.

•  Outdated drivers
    •  Outdated operating system (OS) patch level
    • Roaming user profiles
    • Home folders
    • Start up applications
    • Excessive group policies
    • Excessive startup/logon scripts
    • Excessive WMI filters
    • No local domain controllers

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/09/23/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-1.aspx

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:09 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been by the customer yesterday and a employed there showed me the problem in a way, that I was able to reproduce later on another laptop with another account.

So now I know, whats going on.

The problem from a user perspective is like this:

User gets into the office, and plugs his laptops in the dock, boots and starts working.

The laptop is part of an domain, and logon speed and all GPO are working perfect.

He are running with some folder redirection for some folders to local network share, and dosn't gets any errors through out the day.

When its time to go home, we select "Sleep" for his Laptop, and undocks it.

Puts its into his bags and go home.

Later the night, we finds the laptop again, and open the screens, to start working.

Windows shows logon page right away, and he logs on again, still with no problems.

And the everything goes down from hill from here.

Right after he has been logging in, and the desktop including all his problems has been showen, then the system can't change between the screens, can't open / close any programs, or minimize anything either.

Opening new programs is also not an option.

The taskmanager can sometime opens op, only to show a lot of programs "not responding".

The user then holds down the power button and waits for an "nasty" shutdown, before booting the laptop again. And then everything works perfect again, after logon, beside he needs to reopen all programs, files and so on.

His question is, why does this happend when using "Sleep" mode in Windows, and can it be fixed?

I have reproduced the error by doing the above steps on an laptop in their domians, and I ends up with the same problem, and need to power off the laptop, to get it "back online".

Best Regards

A. Rosenstand

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 7:08 AM