none
Best Practices for DPM 2010 Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there - I have a single DPM 2010 server backing up locally to disk and long-term to an attached tape library. I'm wondering about two things, specifically:

- What is the best way to back up the DPM 2010 server itself (I have the database being backed up with my DPM SQL backup)

- In a smoking hole recovery scenario, is a single tape containing backups of all of my servers enough to get going again?

Would appreciate the feedback!

Monday, November 8, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• HI Liam,

Correct, by not backing up DPM you would be subject to a period where you wouldn't be able to protect until DPM has been rebuilt. If you installed a new DPM server you could directly query the tapes, or catalog the tape information to assist with restoring but yes you can read the tapes on another DPM server (Provided they are not certificate encrypted!).

In a "smoking hole recovery scenario" - as long as you had that tape (hopefully two - just in case :) ) you would be OK but the pain you experienced in the restore process would vary dependant on what you'd backed up (BMR/System State etc).

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by liso Friday, November 12, 2010 3:50 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:07 AM

All replies

• Having a secondary DPM server at a remote site is the best way to protect the DPM server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399707.aspx

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy response. By not backing my DPM server up, I'm only exposing myself to a DPM outage, correct? Based on my reading, in a complete DR scenario (offsite tape only), all we need to do is install DPM on another server, hook up a tape drive and we can start restoring, correct?

- Liam

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:16 PM
  • HI Liam,

Correct, by not backing up DPM you would be subject to a period where you wouldn't be able to protect until DPM has been rebuilt. If you installed a new DPM server you could directly query the tapes, or catalog the tape information to assist with restoring but yes you can read the tapes on another DPM server (Provided they are not certificate encrypted!).

In a "smoking hole recovery scenario" - as long as you had that tape (hopefully two - just in case :) ) you would be OK but the pain you experienced in the restore process would vary dependant on what you'd backed up (BMR/System State etc).

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by liso Friday, November 12, 2010 3:50 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the help Danny!
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:51 PM
  • As a side note, should I avoid backing up DPM using the DPM agent?
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:52 PM
  • There is no reason not to. I think it's a good practise to get into. In the case where you only have database corruption or another event on the server but your links to replica and recovery volumes are still there, you don't want to have to rebuild the entire DPM server and reconfigure all of your protection.

So to summarise:
    Offsite tape good for that 'smoking hole recovery' scenario.
    DPM Backup good in case of localised DPM server corruption where a restore of the database will get you back online quickly

P.S. For future planning you might consider having a secondary DPM server (as Marc Reynolds suggested). In the event of the primary DPM server going down the secondary can take ownership of protection that the primary was doing. This will assist in limiting the number of missed recovery points if you do lose your DPM server. From a cost perspective this may not fit your needs but is an option.

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Once again, thanks muchly!
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:02 AM