none
TN Wiki Feature Requests For July 2010 Triage *Moved to August 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• This thread is for managing requests for UI and code changes to the TN Wiki for the next development cycle. Use the "Vote as Helpfuil" button to indicate agreement with a request to help the team prioritize the work. First triage deadline = July 2010.

tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:27 PM

All replies

• (Pri 0 affects launch) Change the link on the Join page so that Site Terms is the link to the terms of use page.
    As it stands, you must click on "I accept..." before having read the agreement!

Then, move the "I accept" text string next to the checkbox, If you do this, I think you can get rid of the Join Now link.

tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Change the TN Chrome far right phrase "Resources for IT Professionals" to "Resources for IT Professionals and Developers" to welcome devs, unless an MSDN wiki is in the works...
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Remove the ratings control on wiki pages. It is unclear what is being rated (which version of the article, for example) and is not actionable. Also remove the "Highest rated" filter on search results.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Rename the two different types of comments, and seperate the reporting:
    1) comments on the article (comments)
    2) comments on the edit (notes)

tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Add more notification mechanisms:

Subscribe to Article (RSS)

Subscribe to Article (Email) | Unsubscribe to Article (Email)

Share via Email

tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Allow users to delete, edit and spellcheck their own comments and review comments.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Search/report on the "change comments" text.
    Page with all change comments listed, like a daily change report.

Same as above but for "article comments" text.

RSS feed for each of these comment aggreagation report pages.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Add user instruction to tags boxUI: should they use comma to separate tags? semi-colon? bologna? Tell them every time what separateor to use.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Disallow use of an avatar image already in use by another wiki member.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:54 PM
  • This thread is for managing requests for UI and code changes to the TN Wiki for the next development cycle.
    Everybody — please vote in this thread for the issues that you consider to be most important. Use “Vote as helpful” icon on the left of every post.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Or if we don't want to remove the ratings (maybe people like them), then we should at least add a notification that tells raters to leave a comment about what they liked or what needs improvement. In other words, if we have ratings, we should use them for more useful means.
    Thanks! Ed
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:27 PM
    Owner
  • Make the Follow feature actually useful...

My guess is that some Follow features were removed, because as far as I know, the Follow button does absolutely nothing. On Twitter (called Follow), Facebook (called Friend), and YouTube (called Subscribe) this feature is useful because you can see a list of the most recent people you Followed (and share that with others), and you can go to a larger page that shows all the people you are following (so that you can get to them quickly). Facebook and Twitter also use this feature to populate your Home page with the activities of the people that you follow. So I suggest those features...

(1) Show a separate list of the people you are following. I suggest a tab next to the friend tab on your profile. Other people can also browse the list of users that you follow.

(2) The default tab on the bottom of the Home Page, under "Recent Activity" should say "Following" - And then the other tabs should be "All" and "My Activity" like they are now.

So those are just two suggestions of how to use this feature like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube do. There are probably other solutions that are also viable.

Thanks! Ed
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:51 PM
    Owner
  • Add a miniature tag cloud on the right column of the Home Page, above the "Top Wiki Contributors" module.
    Ed
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:09 PM
    Owner
  • New feature: Redirect pages (wikipedia-style).

Reidrect page is a page that reference to another page and actually forwards user there (e.g. using <meta refresh> HTML tag). When user navigates to redirect page (Link A) he goes to redirect target (Link B).

We could use it to create redirect pages for acronyms (e.g. “WSB” --> “Windows Server Backup” or “MOSS” --> “Microsoft Office SharePoint Server”) and incorrect product names (e.g. “Windows 2008” --> “Windows Server 2008” or “SCOM” --> “OpsMgr”). So even if the user knows only acronym or wrong name he or she still is able to find what they are looking for.

Currently as a workaround we could create “non-auto redirect” pages with only one link on them so user can follow this link. Please don't confuse this with stubs that can have multiple links on them and tend to involve to a meaningful articles.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Suggestion: Disable email notifications on my own actions.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Change the TN Chrome "home" button to say "TechNet Home" 

1.      To someone unfamiliar with the wiki, the assumption is that clicking the “home” button at the top of the page will take you to the wiki home, instead it takes to technet home.

tony soper
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:21 PM
  • On search results page dispay tags for every found article.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:48 AM
  • For “Recent activity” module ability to filter out results. E.g. I don't want to see who joins. Or I'm interested only in new pages created and nothing else.

Friday, March 5, 2010 4:57 PM
  • "Edit" comments isted not below versions table but inline. Like this:

[Current Revision]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:01 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  
      [Revision #41]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:00 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  Revert 
    Ed Price MSFT edited Revision 40. Comment: Added link to "About Comments"
      [Revision #40]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:29 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  Revert 
    Ed Price MSFT edited Revision 39. Comment: Added "All Things Profile" link.
      [Revision #39]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:19 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  Revert 
      [Revision #38]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 4:19 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  Revert 
    Ed Price MSFT edited Revision 37. Comment: Added the link to "How Add a Video or Image to Your Profile"
      [Revision #37]  Fri, Mar 5 2010 3:58 AM  by: Ed Price MSFT  Revert 

tony soper
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:41 PM
  • "edit" and "topic" comments list should show most recent comment first (currently reversed). This matches the order display of the versions (current on top, older articles below that.)
    tony soper
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:48 PM
  • In e-mail notifications on article edit include revision comment (it available).
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Change the name of the article page UI items to make them less confusing. (If I subscribe with RSS, what does unsubsribe to Email do?)
    Subscribe to Article (RSS)
    Unsubscribe to Article (Email)
    tony soper
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:37 PM
  • doodlemania Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Vote As HelpfulIt is counter intuitive to edit your profile and not be able to edit your avatar unless you go to 'settings'  - to me, these should either be rolled into a single page, or, allow avatar editing from profile.

tony soper
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Needs the ability to add sub-pages, or children, or whatever you want to call them. Not everything is a top-level article.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Recent Activity - instead of filtering your results, have the option of Browsing By Results. That way I can click a link to just see who joined or to just see what pages were created.

Ed
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:36 PM
    Owner
  • Include the text "Search TechNet Wiki" in the search box on the top.

The search bar on the top of the wiki is inconsistent and unclear. For example, in the forums, the search bar is "Bing" and the text says "Search TechNet with Bing." Then there's a search bar below it that says "Search Forums" in front of it and says "Search TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum" in the box.

So our wiki search box should say "Search TechNet Wiki" in the box.

DONE!!!!

Ed

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:41 PM
    Owner
  • Recent Activity - instead of filtering your results, have the option of Browsing By Results. That way I can click a link to just see who joined or to just see what pages were created.

I already posted something similar above:
    For “Recent activity” module ability to filter out results. E.g. I don't want to see who joins. Or I'm interested only in new pages created and nothing else.
    If we need some more detailed discussion on this — let's start a new thread.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Do not exclude <wbr /> HTML tag from page processing!

Currently this tag works in Edit mode but does not work in Article view. That's very confusing! And I need this tag badly to fit wide tables into fixed column width.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Fix support writing-mode style property!

Currently it works just fine in Edit mode. It also appears to work in Article view but looks very buggy. And that's another feature that is definitely necessary to make wide tables fit into Wiki pages.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:40 PM
  • ...and — by the way:

Can we do something to speed up publishing new comments after submitting them to articles? Currently that takes about 5-10 minutes. And any other content changes/additions come into effect immediately. So that doesn't look like a technical limitation. Is is a measure to prevent spam or something like this?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:06 PM
  • ...and — by the way:

Can we do something to speed up publishing new comments after submitting them to articles? Currently that takes about 5-10 minutes. And any other content changes/additions come into effect immediately. So that doesn't look like a technical limitation. Is is a measure to prevent spam or something like this?
    Hmm. The comment I posted at Wiki: Message Templates is still not published yet. Is it lost completely or what?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:44 AM
  • I am looking into this problem and will report back with details when I have them.

In any case, comments should not be lost.  If it does not appear, we need to figure out why that happened.

-ericb
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Make a page that lists the top N articles that people have tagged as their "favorite" articels on their activity pages.

Perhaps have two of these, one that lists the favorites of _MSFT users, and one that lists the favorites of everyone else?

tony soper
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:00 PM
  • the activity page should preseve state, or provide the (more) button a user pref, such as 50, 100, etc. If I click more, then click on an activity report, and then click back, I must click the more button again. Allow a user to select the number of activity listings.
    tony soper
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Would also like to see the tag field autosuggest previously used tags. Seems like this would encourage tag reuse which makes tagging more useful overall as compared to people continually adding different variations on what are essentially the same tag.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:30 PM
  • A small tag cloud becomes little more than a novelty after a while because it is far too limited to serve as a useful entry point. If there is a miniature tag cloud, I would want a link to a larger tag cloud - maybe a dedicated page - or to a list of tags, maybe sortable by number of uses/recent uses.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:34 PM
  • A button to "strip bad HTML formatting" from a post that has gotten messed up
    tony soper
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:57 PM
  • There are several replies in this thread for improvements to "Recent Activity".  I would like to propose "Recent Activity" also become it's own page instead of being graphed to the bottom of http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/ or http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/default.aspx.

If it's a standalone page, we can add the UI changes for filtering that have been requested.  I would like to see a sequential (most recent at top) list of articles.  I would like a RSS feed for this list.

Keith Combs - Microsoft TechNet Senior PM - http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs
    Friday, March 26, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Maybe in some future version we can switch this to something clearer?  I'm a big fan of a single star to indicate that you found a page useful.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Make the page rating a single binary rating (up or down) which is shown as relevant to the content type of the page:

• Troubleshooting : Fixed my problem
    • Portal: Helped me
    • Deployment: I used it
    • How-to: It worked
    • Stub: is complete
    • other?...

tony soper
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:15 PM
  • It would be useful to be able to drill down into the wiki tag cloud to do more specific searches via tags. For example, if I click the "Exchange" tag, and then want to see troubleshooting articles filtered for Exchange, I would like to be able to then click the "troubleshooting" tag and just see Exchange + troubleshooting results. That is how it works for the TechNet Library tag cloud. For example, go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tags-cloud.aspx, and then click a tag like "virtualmachinemanager". If you click any of the tags that appear, like "powershell", it shows the topics that are specific to "virtualmachinemanager" + "powershell". This makes it much easier to discover content by using the tag cloud.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Post page views on each page.

Works for YouTube. Even if it isn't 100% accurate (one guy keeps returning), then it still gives you a good idea of what's being read. (Plus a sub feature is to have the page views clickable or expandable to see how many of those views are from repeat visitors; for example, any page that has 20 or more views from the same visitor would list that visitor in an expansion view.)

Ed
    Monday, April 12, 2010 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Make the default wiki authoring page a template.

This is similar to Wikipedia and their Mediawiki system. That way authors could get a page TOC out of the box (where you click the links at the top to jump down to the correct section), links after each section to jump back up to the page TOC, and sections like "See Also," "References," and "External Links" all out of the box.

In addition to making it more organized and better navigation, it adds consistency to what readers are used to... which means more productive navigation.

Ed
    Monday, April 12, 2010 7:23 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

We need a way to easily insert related and valid full URI links pointing to other TechNet Wiki entries when editing a topic. For example, if I am editing topic A that is related to existing wiki topics B and C, I want the tool to allow me to be able to locate and simply select/add a link to topics B or C within the topic A.

This could be done by adding a "Wiki Links" button to the edit page.

1.     When “Wiki Links” is clicked, a dialog appears which contains atextbox to enter arbitrary search criteria for any desired links based upon title of the document to be used. Or the search criteria could be entered through adrop-down list box where the user can enter or choose a topic tag (ie AppFabric) , and then run the query. 

2.     Either way the result is the writer/editor being  presented with a drop-down list box displaying all the existing matched (for words or tags searches) wiki topics. The writer can now select the complete URI of the topic to be inserted as a reference. This works like theInsert Link option in DxStudio where insert search criteria, run that query, then select a link to insert.

Kind regards

Mike McKeown

Microsoft Corp.

tony soper
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Having a Preview option to check the article before posting it.

As each time an edit is done by the article poster himself, is considered as a revision !!!

Tarek Majdalani | MS Forefront Edge Security MVP | http://www.elmajdal.net
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Have a "find" option when editing the page in the HTML view. I find it's easier to fix formatting issues in the HTML view, but I have to visually search where to make the changes. Hard to find the right place when it's a big blob of text.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:26 PM
  • See changes to article in RSS feed for search term/tag

If you subscribe to a search term/tag via an RSS feed, it would be great to be able to see the tracked changes (via the RSS feed) when an article is updated. This would be extremely helpful if you're trying to keep track of changes to a large volume of content (for example, if you're acting as a moderator).

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Wiki word count. One of the metrics we need is the total word count for all current version articles (minus the comments text).

We need this to compare to library topic work, which is partly measured in words.

tony soper
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Monica Rush request:

Add expand/collapse functionality for H2's and H3's that are perhaps optional, yet collapsed by default when implemented. This would improve scanning, which is how users read. This functionality would: 

• Allow for longer articles that were still scannable
    • Let users read just the info under the heading they were interested in. This can be helpful for, say, audiences with different levels of expertise. You can have an introduction that experienced users could skip over.

tony soper
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

Can we please have a Preview Button , we need this button to preview our article before posting it. As later any edit done by me is considered as a revision !!

Previewing the Article and seeing how it will look like before posting it is very preferable.

Tarek Majdalani | MS Forefront Edge Security MVP | http://www.elmajdal.net

tony soper
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Pls add a button on each topic that says "save as .PDF" for neutral point of view, also add one tha says "save as .XPS"
    tony soper
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Wiki hover text: ALL INSERTED HYPERLINKS SHOULD SHOW THE FULL URL AS HOVERTEXT. This allows the security-conscious IT Pro to "preview" the url source before clicking on it.
    tony soper
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Monica Rush suggested: Create a discussion page like wikipedia has

Vote As Helpful Advantages of a discussion page over comments:
    • Means of discussing not the subject but the page and its comments
    • You can reply to specific people
    • You can hold discussions rather than just comment
    • Less public, so people feel less self-conscious about making comments
    • You can start a discussion even if article is locked

tony soper
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Re-adding deleted item with 6 votes:

A metrics reporting page that lists wiki activity for all to see (updated realtime), including:

• Most read pages
  • Newest pages
  • Newest users
  • Most read users
  • Most edited pages

• tony soper
Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Offer a roll-your-own book from TN wiki topics service like that described for wikipedia at: http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/06/wikipedia-and-pediapress-now-allow-you-to-create-books-from-content-in-english/ 
    tony soper
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:45 PM
  • In terms of Recent Activity, I am far more interested in what new articles were created and existing articles edited, than I am about who joined the wiki.

How about removing Joins from Recent Activity? It seems like the Joins overwhelm the rest of the activity like creating/editing topics which I am much more interested in seeing.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 11:53 PM
  • The new pages default display is 5 items, please increase it to 10 or 20.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/default.aspx?QueryType=New&PageIndex=2

tony soper
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:14 PM
  • limit the # of characters of the comments field, like Twitter and YouTube do. Or, do as Facebook does if you don't limit characters on input, cut off the display with a “show all” link to read the rest.
    tony soper
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Add a Bing Translator button to the top of each article page (will that also translate comments? If not, put it on the comments too).
    tony soper
    Friday, May 14, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Allow "stamping" of portions or sections of specific versions of articles ( allow links to those versions) .

Allow 'stamp stacking".

Example stamps:

Tested by Microsoft

Suppored by CSS

Endorsed by D.O.D.

This allows CSS to "bless" content without locking the article, and allows customers to search and judge "trust" of content bythe number and natrue of the "stamps" they see attached ot the content.

Stamps must be visual icons. And discoverable through search/countable/reportable thought wiki tools.

tony soper
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Simple implementation of article-discussion pages instead of same-page 'comments'.

Add a link in the sidebar or tab bar that simply prepends the URL string with "talk:" (or similar).

For example, this page would have this talk page link . This could be part of the articles: namespace or a new namespace for that.

On a page whose URL starts with talk, do the opposite - link to the same URL without the "talk:" prefix to link back to the article that talks about.

In an ideal world, those links would be red if the talk page didn't yet exist. People would know that if it's blue, there's some discussion about this article so they should look at the talk page before making any big edits. In a very ideal world, you could automatically subscribe to the talk pages of all the pages you create.

This implementation only requires a couple of lines of code. It is a simple replication of MediaWiki talk page functionality.

We could turn off the comments system, which isn't clear to many users (is it for asking questions about this topic? suggesting changes to the article? commenting on the subject? commenting on the quality of the article?), and which adds a lot of clutter to an article page.

The advantages of using a wiki page for discussion are many. Since it's a wiki page rather than a comment box, you could include all WYSIWYG elements and syntax. With it being on a separate page, extended discussions could take place without cluttering up the talk page. Multiple discussions could take place, as you could reply underneath any comment rather than just at the bottom/top.

For an example talk page, see here .

Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:31 AM
  • This isn't any different on official content except that a wiki topic might have more frequent and poorly tested edits? Customers are always rating the latest version - updates can improve or worsen the topic, at which point the ratings should drift up or down.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Kevin suggests one rating type for all wiki content, but three choices:

like, indifferent, dislike

tony soper
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Given that the majority of <viewin-only> folks landing on a page will have come from Internet search, we must do what we can for those who wish to contribute content using wiki search to find their stuff, or to see if similar content is already on the wiki.

Make wiki search easier to use.

According to Sean:

The issue here is the words to, on and a. Those get thrown away by the search engine but are still counted in the number of terms being matched. Because you get then 3/6 terms matched, it’s not greater than 65% of the needed terms to return a result.

Fix: Add the following user tip to the wiki search results box *above* the current text"Advanced search options..."

Didn't find it? Try quotes, like this "your search".

tony soper
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Remove the non-functioning magnifying glass icon on the right edge of the wiki search bar. It does nothing - why frustrate users who are trained by Bing (which initiates a search when the magnifying glass is clicked)? Since the enter key initiates the wiki search, change the icon to the word "Enter".

tony soper
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Make Live Writer able to publish to wiki like it publishes to blogs. this allows users to compose offline and queue up their articles. <TechEd User> 
    tony soper
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Stop using Bit.ly for shortening URLs, use a Microsoft shortening service on the wiki instead.

tony soper
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:35 PM
  • The integrated reputation system should include presence display so that if wiki users FOO is online right now, I can start and IM with her and agree some changes before I edit the wiki article <teched user fedback>.
    tony soper
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Give a last in first out historical listing of:

All wiki articles

All wiki articles matching <tag>

All wiki articles matching <search term>

tony soper
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Provide a listing of all wiki articles in <user-supplied language choice>.
    tony soper
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Make the wiki support the neccessary page type so that the communtiy can contribute text and grapchics and pages to the IT Pro comix. <TechEd customer>
    tony soper
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Enable viral spread fo wiki info - Allow the user to send the link to the RSS feed for a tag he's just created (or discovered) by e-mail to himself or someone else (from a mobile phone) <teched customer>
    tony soper
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Windows Live ID profile alrady accepts many RSS feeds from blogs and other services to display on the ID profile page. Use this page as the repositiory of the wiki user's profile activity page, along with forum activity and blog posts. This can form the basis of the unified reputation system. Each wiki users then decides in an opt-in fashion what activity they want "counted" in their reputation. If they add it to thier windows live ID profile, it will be counted.
    Tony Soper
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Need a way to filter "My Activities" so I can see pages I created, pages I edited, pages I commented, instead of having them jumbled together.

Also, editing a page and leaving a comment to explain the edit shouldn't count as two entries in the "my activites" list.

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:17 PM
    tony soper

To clarify:

A “clear formatting” button in the WYSIWYG editor is a HUGE need (should clear just the selection if something’s selected or the whole thing with a popup to verify if nothing is selected). Currently the editor feels buggy without it.

An alternative feature would be to automatically reformat anything pasted into the editor. This is what the blog editors do. However, I'd expect to keep all my links active.

Ed
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:00 PM
    Owner
  • Remove the ratings control on wiki pages. It is unclear what is being rated (which version of the article, for example) and is not actionable. Also remove the "Highest rated" filter on search results.
    tony soper

Or make it more useful.
    Ed
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:01 PM
    Owner
  • Remove the non-functioning magnifying glass icon on the right edge of the wiki search bar. It does nothing - why frustrate users who are trained by Bing (which initiates a search when the magnifying glass is clicked)? Since the enter key initiates the wiki search, change the icon to the word "Enter".

tony soper

Or...

Make the Search Button work.

It is currently inconsistent and frustrating. It's on all the other TechNet sub-sites. Just make it work/interactive instead of removing it.

Ed
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:04 PM
    Owner
  •                                                                 Tabbed Code Window and Copy Code Button request

I am new to the technet wiki, but I posted this topic:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/streaming-large-data-files-using-webhttpbinding-wcf.aspx

One thing I would like is a tabbed code window feature for seeing the same code in a different language--like VB. And a "Copy Code" button so I don't have to use the mouse to select code and copy it.

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:41 PM
  •  When the BI becomes available, we should pre-fetch a bunch of pages automatically for wiki users, then they can just subscribe to the RSS feed for the auto-generated BI page that reports:

·        All pages

·        User list

·        Stub pages

·        Broken redirects

Edits to Articles I started

Edits I Made on Articles I did not start

·        Categories (most used to least used)

·        Tags (largest to smallest) (newest)

·        Dead-end pages

·        Disambiguation pages

·        Pages with the fewest revisions

·        Pages with the most tags

·        Pages with the most revisions

·        List of blocked IP addresses and usernames

·        List redirects

·        Long pages

·        Most linked to categories

·        Most linked to tags

·        Most linked to files

·        Most linked to pages

·        Most linked-to templates

·        New pages

·        Oldest pages

·        Orphaned pages

·        Pages without language links

·        Popular pages

·        Protected pages

·        Protected titles

·        Recent changes

·        Most frequent search term

·        Short pages

·        Uncategorized pages

·        Other (Thoughts?)

tony soper
    Monday, August 2, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Stop using Bit.ly for shortening URLs, use a Microsoft shortening service on the wiki instead.

tony soper
    I agree!
    National Furniture Assembly Contractors Association
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:54 PM
    tony soper

I just want to reiterate the importance of this...

A “clear formatting” button in the WYSIWYG editor is a HUGE need (should clear just the selection if something’s selected or the whole thing with a popup to verify if nothing is selected). Currently the editor feels buggy without it.

An alternative feature would be to automatically reformat anything pasted into the editor. This is what the blog editors do. However, I'd expect to keep all my links active.

This would save days and days of work that is currently put into man hours of trying to fix formatting issues and would make tools like Windows Live Writer a little less necessary.

Ed
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:45 PM
    Owner
  • Clarify Profile Editing Errors

From Brent Ozar and Ed Price...

When editing or updating your profile, if you fill in the wrong information and click Save Profile, then it gets confusing. It doesn't tell you there's an error on the page (it just looks like you didn't save and that the tool is broken). The best hint you get is a tiny red flag next to the field you were to alter.

Suggestion: When encountering an error, add text under the "Save Profile" button that says something like "Please fix the error below."

Then, at the appropriate field, include an asterix and an explanation in red text, under the field. For example:

* Must include entire Twitter URL in this format http://twitter.com/UserName

Ed
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:35 PM
    Owner
  • Clarify Twitter Field in Profile Editing

So far Brent Ozar and I have both ran into this issue independently, so it's probably a common problem and should just be fixed.

When editing your profile, under the Contact section, above the Twitter field, please include the following instructions that are not visible to the profile viewer (they're in the edit mode only):

(in this format: http://twitter.com/UserName)

Thanks!

Ed
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:40 PM
    Owner
  • Automatically add a Microsoft or MSFT icon or description to the user names of Microsoft employees

From Krishnan Rangachari

it [should be] possible to associate my Technet Wiki profile or username with Microsoft, like you can do on MSDN forums

It automagically adds ‘Microsoft Employee’ and [MSFT] to your name [on the forum pages]. Example of Krishnan's profile.

Ed
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:18 PM
    Owner
  • This is in the triage and should be coming soon.
    tony soper
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:20 PM