explorer exe cpu issue RRS feed

• Question

• explorer exe is taking 45% and over cpu.I have norton 360 and no trojans or viruses are coming up.Please help I am using windows 7.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• When I run the icon clean up It doesn't do anything after nothing pops up and doesn't tell me what links it has examined etc.CPU is still the same.What am I doing wrong?
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:56 AM
  • Nothing popped up? Did you tick all three options ?

Even if it finds nothing, it should open the empty log with Notepad after it finishes. 

Also check that all shortcuts have an icon - fixing this helped a couple of people on that thread.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Yes I tried several times with all three ticked and a couple times with only two clicked.A note pad never popped up once.I am kind of confused by the short cut thing do you mean if I have short cut it should also be pinned to the task bar?
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:48 PM
  • No, I mean check that the shortcuts (links) on your desktop have icons. The image below is the same shortcut. The one on the left has an icon. The one on the right does not.

How many links do you have on your desktop anyway ? You might be able to check if any are dodgy just by making a new folder on the desktop and dragging and dropping them all into the folder. If that doesn't help your cpu usage just drag and drop them all back onto the desktop. 

Strange that RTSVunc.exe does not work for you, but there's probably a thousand other reasons why explorer is lighting a fire under your cpu. Have you checked your Windows System and Applications logs in Event Viewer for persistent errors ? 

Anyway, maybe soon, someone a lot smarter than me will be along to help you.
    • Edited by mystifeid Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Yes all of my shortcuts have icons.I don't have many.I tried putting them all into a new folder but no difference in CPU. This is error seems to be the only one that ever comes up (The description for event ID 0 from source Toshiba app place cannot be found.Either the component that raises this even is not installed on your local computer or the  installation is corrupted.When I click on Toshiba app place is just brings me to a webpage for Toshiba games etc.One warning is (the speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.Other errors include The performance strings in performance registry value is corrupted...goes on.An error with bonjour but I have deleted it earlier.I am assuming the problem is Verizon which I have stopped using ages ago.I have deleted uninstalled every Verizon related program but there is one Verizon message center that I cannot uninstall. A blank explanation window will pop during the uninstall and the loading bar will go backwards and it ends but remains there.I have done the same with everything apple and itunes related but one apple software update can not be removed and It says a fatal error has occurred when trying to unistall.I am totally lost and clueless please help.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:33 PM
  • You can try using Process Explorer to give more info about properties of explorer threads (right click process -> properties -> threads tab). 

Also see if the problem persists with
    - Clean Boot
    - Safe Mode

Check hd with Checkdsk.

Check system files with sfc/Scannow 

Clear temp files with
    - Disk Cleanup
    - or CCleaner

To uninstall uninstallable programs try Revo Uninstaller

Check for malware

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:01 AM
  • Hi swoon,

Beyond mystified said, it also may be caused by opening a folder contains corrupted files. So you also could try to following method:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976417

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Ok just to make sure because someone just told me that it is only problem if it is showing that is taking up cpu not memory.None of the processes take up more than one or two CPU but memory usage explorer.exe is at times when idle taking up to 30k to 80k of memory usage.So what to know is should I still download the hot fix even though its only taking the up high memory usage and not the CPU?
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 11:38 AM
  • ugh ignore my last question.I tried the hotfix but it says it is not applicable.I called microsoft and after 30 mins she said I would have to make a payment for to resolve the problem.That is not an option.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:28 PM
  • 30 to 80KB is not high memory usage - this would be pretty normal for explorer. And if your total CPU usage is less than a couple of percent at idle then that too is how it should be. (You can check total CPU by looking at the bottom of the Task Manager window or by selecting the performance tab and looking at the CPU bar graph)

But originally you said explorer was using over 45% CPU ??!!

If you have any more doubts it might help if you posted some screenshots of your Task Manager.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Yes I meant to say memory but I have read that if it is taking being between 40,000k and 80,000k memory when nothing is running then it is a problem.If you look at  http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289194-explorer-exe-cpu-issue-5.html I did post a picture of my task manager and he still believes it is a problem.Idk totally confused but the wav. problem makes the most sense to me. 
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:48 AM
  • Advertising Spyware: DLDER.EXE, Explorer.exe trojan (ClickTillUWin) This is basically what I am trying to do

Yeah, ok, thanks a lot.

Pulling stuff like this off is a pet hate of mine - but they sound like they enjoy it. Stick with them, don't worry about how much memory explorer is using, just listen to what they say.

PS - My explorer.exe is using 49K right now.
    • Edited by mystifeid Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:39 AM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Well jeez Idk I am not very smart when it comes to computers.I was just trying to figure out why I can can sometimes run a large project in fl studio but sometimes I can not run the same project iwithout maxing out on cpu. I saw the explorer.exe was taking up 60,000k of memory and I googled to see it was normal and some say its not and others say its normal.Either way I am done caring.Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:44 AM