'Windows Media Center Receiver Service' stops and cannot be restarted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have had some issues with running my Hauppage TV Tuners (WinTV-HVR-2200) on a new Windows 7 Home Premium Installation.

After installing the TV Tuner card, drivers and WMC support software - I am able to configure my TV channels through Windows Media Centre and all is working fine. I can watch and record TV, so it all seems to be OK. It is only AFTER I restart my computer that I get an error 'Viewing/Listening Device is currently not available' when trying to watch TV in WMC again.

I troubleshooted this issue and found that 'Windows Media Centre Receiver Service' was not running and when I tried to restart the service (via services.msc) it comes up with the following error:

"0x80070003: File path not found"

I have checked the Windows directory for ehrecvr.exe (the file that the service is linked to) and it is not corrupted or moved but I cannot re-link or restart the service.

I tried the following tasks to remedy the issue and none of them were successful:

• Run SFC from cmd prompt - no issues were found
    • Changed the 'logon' details for the service from Network to Local
    • Changed the start type of the service from manual to automatic
    • Restored previous versions of windows - prior to windows updates
    • Re-install TV Tuner drivers and software
    • Updated to the latest drivers and software version of 'WinTV' (Hauppage TV Tuner Software)
    • Complete new installation of windows, including a format of the HDD - without installing additional third party software or anit-virus software
    • Re-seat the TV tuner in a new PCI slot

The only way that I am able to remedy the issue is if I disable and then re-enable WMC via 'optionalfeatures'. This then allows the service to start again, I can then configure my TV tuner in WMC but it still has issues after restarting the PC!

It would appear that by configuring the TV tuners in WMC, it causes a conflict in the service so that it cannot be restarted after it is stopped. Note: I can start/stop the service with the TV tuner cards installed on my PC - it is only when I configure the TV channels in WMC that it then has issues.

I have had these TV tuners running without any issues for over 2 years; however I have upgraded the motherboard and CPU and this issue has only just started happening. I am at a loss of what to look at next...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi guys,

I had some success with the recommendations you gave; however it has not completely fixed the issue.

There was a newer driver update on the Hauppauge website (only posted on 05/01/2015), so I installed this without the WinTV component. The issue was resolved and the service was able to be started after a re-boot.

Given that this was a working solution - I decided to install my second Hauppauge TV Tuner card (my very original system had both TV Tuner Cards installed). This is when the issue occurred again.

I am going to try the re-installation of the drivers with both cards installed on the motherboard - and I am also planning to isolate the second TV Tuner card, in case there is a hardware fault/incompatibility with this one specifically.

Thanks for the assistance so far, it is much appreciated.

Nathan

• Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:18 AM

All replies

• I shall suggest you :

1. uninstall WinTV software and reinstall WMC from the scratch.

2. Disable AV or any other internet security application during configuring WMC.

3. Update the TV Tuner card driver from Hauppage's website (only WMC driver and no other application)

Run Setup Again.

Open WMC > Tasks > Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Run Setup Again

Does it help?

If the above doesn't help then try resetting WMC:-

Open Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows Features on or off > Scroll down to Media Features > Uncheck the box against Windows Media Center > Follow on screen instructions > Reboot > Again open Turn Windows Features on or off under Control Panel > Scroll down to Media Features > Check the box against Windows Media Center.

Now reconfigure WMC again

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Proposed as answer by FangZhou Chen Monday, January 19, 2015 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:34 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Thanks for the tips.

I'll try the installation with only the device drivers and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Hello N.Grocke,

What is your current situation?
    Have you tried the solution as MVP S.Sengupta mentioned?

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Hi guys,

I had some success with the recommendations you gave; however it has not completely fixed the issue.

There was a newer driver update on the Hauppauge website (only posted on 05/01/2015), so I installed this without the WinTV component. The issue was resolved and the service was able to be started after a re-boot.

Given that this was a working solution - I decided to install my second Hauppauge TV Tuner card (my very original system had both TV Tuner Cards installed). This is when the issue occurred again.

I am going to try the re-installation of the drivers with both cards installed on the motherboard - and I am also planning to isolate the second TV Tuner card, in case there is a hardware fault/incompatibility with this one specifically.

Thanks for the assistance so far, it is much appreciated.

Nathan

• Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:18 AM
  • Hello Nathan,

What is your current situation?

Is this issue resolved?

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Hi Fangzhou,

You can now mark the issue as resolved - looks like the updated driver from Hauppauge was the key to getting the system running.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:49 PM