none
Allow/open Profile to allow USB Flash Drives to install/find Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• From time to time we have some folks that the USB Flash Drives need to install/find specialized drivers.  Would we just add Power User to the profile to allow the patron to load up the correct Drivers?

Thanks in advance

James Ghiorzi

Library Assistant II

San Benito County Free Library

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi James, if you need Power User to install certain driver or application, you can create one for the users and use Windows SteadyState to restrict the account.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Hi Sean, 

I quess what I was asking is how to enable it on the existing profile(s).  That way we don't have to re-invent the wheel so to speak so we just leave the existing profiles without having to create new ones. 

Thanks in advance

James Ghiorzi

Library Assistant II

San Benito County Free Library

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi James, normally, local users who do not have Administrator-level privileges cannot install new hardware in Windows, including USB storage devices like USB flash drives. As you may know that Windows SteadyState itself does not include the function you descripted. So, can you use Administrator account to install USB drivers prior to patron to load USB drives?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Hi Sean, not really, its a hit or miss situation.  Most USB Flash drives work fine under steady state, with out having to look/download a specialized driver.  I would hate to give the average user administrator level privileges.  I was reading a separate post concerning this and one person mentioned something about power user.  I was hoping that adding power user to the profiles would get around this issue.  I guess there really is no other work around for the issue than?

Thanks again,

James

Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:25 PM
  • James,

Are these XP machines?

I also work at a library and I've never had one issue where a usb stick needed to install or write to the hard drive just to access it. How ridiculous! :D

If that's the case, I'd tell that patron, sorry get another flash drive. These drives come with such bloatware these days and they are not needed (the nefarious U3 software comes to mind). Tell them its a security issue and/or tell them to delete the software on their drives. Giving them Admin rights just opens up other cans of worms.

PS. If it was up to me, I would ban them altogether. They are becoming more and more as a vector for malware to be introduced onto the network from patrons, and most places - usually those who use Windows Disk Protection and/or Faronics Deep Freeze, think that AV software isn't needed because of its 'reboot to restore' philosophy. AV is still needed.....   Otherwise, get SandboxIE

OK I'm done ranting.   ;)

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:56 PM
  • We now have one machine that won't accept any USB drives, I had to delete the old profile and make a new one because somehow/someway the power settings on the old user profile were causing the machine to hibernate.  Now the power settings are fine but most folks who have a usb drive don't want to use the machine, and I unchecked the settings that pretain to USB access.

Thanks,

James

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:32 PM
  • figured out the post of April 13th.  I actually had the removeable drive hidden on the user profile, within Steady State.

Take that Steady State!

James

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:40 PM