DWM & Desktop Composition RRS feed

• Question

• Please correct me if I'm wrong, but DWM forces all applications to write to a seperate buffer, then DWM takes each buffer and puts it in the Video Cards RAM, where then it's rendered on screen.

If I turn off Aero, use the Windows 7 Classic look which turns off Desktop Composition (which I assume is only the Aero effects), but keeps the DWM service running.  Does it still behave the same way?

Friday, February 3, 2012 3:21 PM

Answers

• Quote from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969540(v=vs.85).aspx

When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

Based on my understanding, your description is correct.

I think if you use the Windows 7 Classic theme, it won't effect other application's behavior. For example, the Warcraft game works normally under Classic theme.  

The DWM not only controls Aero feature, also other windows.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Miya Yao Monday, February 6, 2012 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, February 13, 2012 8:17 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 6:37 AM

All replies

• Quote from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969540(v=vs.85).aspx

When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

Based on my understanding, your description is correct.

I think if you use the Windows 7 Classic theme, it won't effect other application's behavior. For example, the Warcraft game works normally under Classic theme.  

The DWM not only controls Aero feature, also other windows.

Regards,

Miya

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Miya Yao

• Edited by Miya Yao Monday, February 6, 2012 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, February 13, 2012 8:17 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 6:37 AM
  • How's it going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Since this thread has been quite a while, we assume that the issue is resolved. I'll mark it as Answered in order to help othe communities who have the similar issue. If you have any update, please directly reply it back, we'll follow it up.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:17 AM