none
How to disable the "Computer" profil and connect automatically to the server? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a technical way to disable the "Computer" profile and to make the users automatically connect to MS Project Server once they open a new Project thus motivating users to work more on the Server instead of saving local copies?

Otherwise a Project Server account has to be created by each user individually (Needs instruction...) and each time he can choose between local ("Computer") and "Project Server".

Monday, May 4, 2015 2:45 PM

All replies

• Scheduler007 --

There is no way to avoid the need for creating the Project Server login account in Microsoft Project.  When people set up their login account, they have the options in the Project Web App Accounts dialog to connect to either choose an account or to use the default account.  If you have everyone select the Use My Default Account option, then when they launch Microsoft Project, the software will automatically connect to Project Server.  However, keep in mind that there is nothing to prevent your PMs from opening an enterprise project, clicking File > Save As, and then saving the enterprise project as an MPP (which is a bad idea, by the way).

I really think your issue goes to the heart of the processes you have set up for your PMs using Project Server.  I would ask your Project Sponsor (if he or she has the authority) to MANDATE that every PM save their projects in Project Server, and cease from saving projects as MPP files.  If this a career-threatening mandate to your PMs, I think they will be far more encouraged to use Project Server.  Otherwise, your company may have wasted a lot of money on software that people can use if they feel like it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, May 4, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

for a rollout, I use a VB-Script. It is setting the Server profile as default account. Unfortunately I have not yet found how to define that the default profile shall be used. But at least, it is not "Computer" any longer.

Option Explicit
    Dim ProjObj
    Dim ProfileMissing
    Dim i
    Const c_Server = "https://a.b.c/pwa"
    Const c_Name = "xxx"

Set ProjObj = CreateObject("msproject.application")
    ProfileMissing = True
    For i = 1 To ProjObj.Profiles.Count
        If ProjObj.Profiles.Item(i).Server = c_Server Then 
    	ProfileMissing = False
        End If
    Next
    If ProfileMissing = True Then
        ProjObj.Profiles.Add c_Name, c_Server
    End If
    For i = 1 To ProjObj.Profiles.Count
        If ProjObj.Profiles.Item(i).Name = c_Name Then
            ProjObj.Profiles.DefaultProfile = ProjObj.Profiles.Item(i)
        End If
    Next
    ProjObj.Quit 
    Set ProjObj=Nothing

You may try. Set c_Server to your PWA URL and c_name to a profile name. Save it as *.vbs. This will at least avoid a lot of clicks.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Hello. You could also look at powershell: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/create-projectserver-2010-msproject-2010-accounts-with-powershell-ps2010-sp2010-msoffice/ this will create the registry key. Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:56 AM