none
Similar Command To 2010 Powershell Command: Get-ADServerSettings? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to obtain the information from an Exchange server about what the preferred domain controller it has elected to use for authentication / etc.... basically this command is usable in Exchange 2010 but not 2007. Is there something comparable in Exchange 2007? I need to find a way ON THE SERVER SIDE to determine what Domain Controller Exchange is using.

The output for the command on Exchange 2010 is below (From another site).

[PS] C:\>Get-ADServerSettings | fl

RunspaceId                                 : 15e4d968-032b-4cd8-bc66-bf0b665c4161
    DefaultGlobalCatalog                       : DC1.exchangeserverpro.local
    PreferredDomainControllerForDomain         : {}
    DefaultConfigurationDomainController       : DC1.exchangeserverpro.local
    DefaultPreferredDomainControllers          : {DC1.exchangeserverpro.local}
    UserPreferredGlobalCatalog                 :
    UserPreferredConfigurationDomainController :
    UserPreferredDomainControllers             : {}
    RecipientViewRoot                          : exchangeserverpro.local
    ViewEntireForest                           : False
    Identity                                   :
    IsValid                                    : True

[PS] C:\>Set-ADServerSettings -PreferredServer dc2.exchangeserverpro.local

I'm getting ready to decomission two DC's (One GC and one standard DC) and when I demote those servers I wast to make sure Exchange 2007 correctly adjusts its preferred DC configuration settings to point to their new PDC / SDC which also hold the FSMO roles / GC roles currently. Some sources say this should be automatic within 45 minutes... other places say there might be manual configurations specified "somewhere" but I don't know where to look at the moment. Specifically for Exchange 2007 specific settings.

My random internet searches have returned nothing of any real use at this point. Thanks for your help in advance everyone!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:01 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:01:08 +0000, Azca Admin wrote:

>
    >
    >I need to obtain the information from an Exchange server about what the preferred domain controller it has elected to use for authentication / etc.... basically this command is usable in Exchange 2010 but not 2007. Is there something comparable in Exchange 2007? I need to find a way ON THE SERVER SIDE to determine what Domain Controller Exchange is using.
    >
    >The output for the command on Exchange 2010 is below (From another site). [PS] C:\>Get-ADServerSettings | fl
    >
    >RunspaceId : 15e4d968-032b-4cd8-bc66-bf0b665c4161 DefaultGlobalCatalog : DC1.exchangeserverpro.local PreferredDomainControllerForDomain : {} DefaultConfigurationDomainController : DC1.exchangeserverpro.local DefaultPreferredDomainControllers : {DC1.exchangeserverpro.local} UserPreferredGlobalCatalog : UserPreferredConfigurationDomainController : UserPreferredDomainControllers : {} RecipientViewRoot : exchangeserverpro.local ViewEntireForest : False Identity : IsValid : True [PS] C:\>Set-ADServerSettings -PreferredServer dc2.exchangeserverpro.local I'm getting ready to decomission two DC's (One GC and one standard DC) and when I demote those servers I wast to make sure Exchange 2007 correctly adjusts its preferred DC configuration settings to point to their new
    >PDC / SDC which also hold the FSMO roles / GC roles currently. Some sources say this should be automatic within 45 minutes... other places say there might be manual configurations specified "somewhere" but I don't know where to look at the moment. Specifically for Exchange 2007 specific settings. My random internet searches have returned nothing of any real use at this point. Thanks for your help in advance everyone!

How about "get-exchangeserver <server> -status"?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:31 AM
  • $adminsessionadsettings | fl

Above is the command Equivalent to Get-AdServerSettings on Exchange 2010.

As you are already aware exchange server uses the best domain controller based on the SACL Rights for which the information is listed under the Event id 2080.

For more information about DSProxy refer to the link below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/richardroddy/archive/2010/06/16/msexchange-adaccess-dsaccess-errors-and-the-manage-auditing-and-security-right.aspx

After you Demote your Existing DC, in case if your other DC that is shown up in Event Id 2080 has SACL Rights then you will not have any problems. Worst Case, setup.com /prepareAd would help us get over any service down situation which we may experience.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 6:20 AM
  • So if I see this (Don't ask why there are so many DC's that is why we are demoting several of these) and there is a 1 value for SACL's for all of the DC's then I should be ok?

Process STORE.EXE (PID=4240). Exchange Active Directory Provider has discovered the following servers with the following characteristics:

EVENT ID 2080

(Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
    In-site:
    Apps01.domain.local CD- 1 6 6 0 0 1 1 6 1
    Apps02.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
    SRVDC02.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
    SRVDC01.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
    SRVPHXDC.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
    SRVdc.domain.local CD- 1 6 6 0 0 1 1 6 1
    SRVFLGDC.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
     Out-of-site:

"After you Demote your Existing DC, in case if your other DC that is shown up in Event Id 2080 has SACL Rights then you will not have any problems. Worst Case, setup.com /prepareAd would help us get over any service down situation which we may experience."

I'm not a huge Exchange expert by any means which is why I'm trying to use caution here.

Thank you for the input it sounds like things will be ok to proceed then. Should I reboot the Exchange server after the demotion of the DC's? The DC's getting demoted are Apps02 and SRVDC for starters.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:01 PM