none
Administrative Templates

General discussion

• Hello,

I am having some trouble with administrative templates in Windows Server 2003. I cannot import any customized templates into Group Policy. Every time I import a template I get an error stating that "Only file extensions that end with .adm can be used." 

In the meantime, I am trying to use the Skype for Business administrative template. I know I have to install the Office 2013 template before this, but I am still  getting the same error. 

If anyone can help me out that would be great. 

Thanks.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:01 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are trying to use ADMX files instead of ADM files. ADMX files are the newer version of templates - introduced in Vista. If you can, install RSAT on a Vista+ machine - you can then use the GPMC from that machine and use the newer ADMX files.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:04 PM
  • My file path where I store my Office 2013 and Skype for Business administrative  templates is; C:\windows\sysvol\sysvol\testdomain.com\Policies\{31B2F....}\Adm Where "testdomain.com" is my domain controller's name. 

When I add a template in Group Policy, the inf folder appears with the default templates.

Furthermore, I browse to the domain's file path to locate the template I  am trying to add to Group Policy. As I am in the file path where my templates are, they do not appear in the Adm folder which is where I stored the templates. But, when I key an asterick symbol in the search box all of the files appear because the asterick  is acting as a wildcard to grab everything in the folder.

Now here is the problem, no matter which file extension (.adm or .admx) I try to import, I get the following error; sfb.adml is not a valid template file. Only files that end with the .adm extension can be added to this Group Policy Object. I have tried different storage areas and nothing seems to work. I even tried editing  the code in the .adm and .admx files. There has to be a way to use .admx files in Windows Server 2003. Does anyone know how to work around this so that I can use the .admx file in Windows Server 2003?

• Edited by kjg8 Friday, February 12, 2016 4:16 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 4:14 PM
  • There has to be a way to use .admx files in Windows Server 2003. Does anyone know how to work around this so that I can use the .admx file in Windows Server 2003?

There is not.

To use ADMX/ADML, you must have a modern OS with modern GPMC/GPME installed.

You *can* still use WS2003 on the DC's as the SYSVOL "host", and replication etc works fine, and clients will apply/process Domain Group Policy perfectly - but you cannot use WS2003 nor WindowsXP with ADMX/ADML.

As Joseph says - You need a modern Windows OS for this task. You *can* use a workstation, install the RSAT upon it, and then install the ADMX/ADML files for Office2013 into c:\windows\policydefinitions\etc on that RSAT workstation. (or into the Central Store if you have already implemented that - which I would doubt, given the scenario you describe)

Or, you can use any domain member server which has a modern Windows OS for GPMC/GPME tasks - just add the feature/tools for GP and the template files to that.

When you get rid of WS2003 (which surely you have a plan to do, since WS2003 is no longer supported), this problem vanishes :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, February 13, 2016 7:21 AM