VM hangs continually RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a HP DL 180 G6 server with 12Gb RAM. I am running Win 2008 R2 and Sql Server 2008. I have installed two VM on the server. They run Win Xp. The problem is that the VMs hang every four hours are so. Connected to the VM are 9 L300 N Computing devices running the vSpace software.  I am not sure where the problems lies, kindly help me out as I am very new to Windows, having worked in Linux for long.

Any help is appreciated

Regards, 

regalian1

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• From your symptoms, I would first look at the settings of the physical NICs (any and all) of the Hyper-V server.

See if Power Management is turned on (the NIC will be put to sleep) and if it is, turn it off.

I am guessing this since you describe that it affects both VMs (I am assuming at or near the same time).

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, October 11, 2010 6:34 AM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:27 PM

All replies

• This installation catches me as a bit complex so; If I understand this properly..

You have a single physical Server.  On it you have Server 2008 R2 installed, and you installed SQL 2008.

You added the Hyper-V role.

You also have two VMs and the VMs have some type of device they are associated with (sorry, I am not familiar with the NComputing device nor the vSpace software).

You claim that the VMs "hang" - by hanging I am guessing that they stop responding to something?  Or an application hangs within them?  I don't know.

Have you checked the OS in the VM to see if there is something spiking the processor or otherwise causing the unresponsiveness?

Is there high disk IO during the hang?  Is the SQL server instance installed in the parent parition doing something during the hang?

This is no different than uncovering an issue in Linux, you go into the OS and begin looking for the application or thread that is the problem.  In Windows we have Task Manager and the Event Log as really good places to begin.  Other tools that are useful are available through SysInternals  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Please elleborate more about your Setup? (Servers configuration, OS, etc)

Also can u please clearify.. Are you running Hyper-V or vShpere ?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Thank you both for the support. Let me elaborate. I have one physical server Its a HP DL180 G6 server with 12 GB of Ram one Quad core processor with three 500 GB hard disks in Raid 5 configuration . We have 9 thin clients( Ncomputing L300 ). I have installed both Hyper V and Sql in the same physical server. My SQL load is typically low as I am using it only for my Sage accounting package and its just a five user setup. The Hyper V has two VM installed in it both running Win XP with 4 GB virtual ram with 100GB VHD space each. The physical server runs Server 2008R2 with 4 GB RAM. The physical server has three 500 GB hard disks in Raid 5 configuration hence displaying as a single disk drive. Both the virutal hard disks are also in this drive only. Both the VMs have WinXP in them and the vSpace software in loaded in both the VMs. Five thin clients are connected to one VM and the rest four in the second VM. The thin clients suddenly log out or hang and if I check them out the Vm has stop responding. We tried the thin clients with two other workstations and then work fine. But while using the VM with WinXP, both VM stop responding after sometime. They totally stop taking any input and would be only ok if the VM is shutdown and restarted. Hope I have made it clear to a certain level. Kindly help me out. Thanks in advance. Regards, Regalian1
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:52 AM
  • From your symptoms, I would first look at the settings of the physical NICs (any and all) of the Hyper-V server.

See if Power Management is turned on (the NIC will be put to sleep) and if it is, turn it off.

I am guessing this since you describe that it affects both VMs (I am assuming at or near the same time).

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, October 11, 2010 6:34 AM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Dear Brian,

Thanks for the pointer. Will post after I try that.

Regards,

Regalian1

Friday, October 8, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Dear Brian,

Tried it, but sorry, still problem prevails.

Please Help.

Regards,

Regalian1

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Have you installed SQL Server 2008 sp1?

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Dear Erkan,

Yes, Sp1 is installed.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Any more ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance. Regalian1
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:33 PM