none
Client Hyper-V on Windows 8: Can't ping router RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I have a Win 8 Pro system, fully patched as of July 18 2013.  I have Client Hyper-V enabled.  I crated a VM and insetalled Windows 7 Pro on that.  It installed fine.

However now I cannot connect this VM to the network. 

The virtual switch is set to use the lone GbE physical adapter in the system, and the check for sharing with the management OS is on.  It is set to be an External connection.  The management host connects fine to the Internet. 

The VM however cannot ping even the default gateway.  However, it does get a DHCP address, which is provided by the very same default gateway. 

I can ping from the host to the VM, and from the VM to the host, I simply cannot ping (or do any other network-level activity) from the VM to the rest of the network nor to the Internet. 

Not that I expect it would matter but I did disable the Windows Firewall on the Win7 VM, rebooted the OS, but no change.  when I ping from the VM to the default gateway, the message is:

Reply from [IP of the VM]: Destination Host Unreachable

Might this be a bug in Win8's Hyper-V?  It feels like one, since this seems to be a very basic configuration but perhaps I missed something?  Are there any logs or troubleshooting steps here/ 

Thank you!

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:49 PM

Answers

• Try a wired NIC instead of a wireless NIC (for the External Virtual Switch).

Delete the External Virtual Switch and recreate it.

If you used any 3rd party NIC drivers, remove them and use the in-box drivers.

The Integration Components do not auto-install in the VMs, and must be consciously installed (by someone).  And manually installing them also makes them match your patch level.  If you check the networking tab of the VM in the Hyper-V Manager (down on the bottom when you select the VM) it will show you if the version aligns between the VM and hypervisor.

Most all NICs work, but there have been a few that don't.  Intel, HP, Broadcom generally always work (in that order).  Other, inexpensive, NICs might not / don't.  Due to their drivers.

If you are using a physical NIC already, and you are in a corporate environment, my money is on MAC limiting.  It used to be very commonly used to prevent folks from brining in extra machines and using them at their desk.  And has the same impact on VMs.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

It appears the solution is to use the Legacy Network Adapter by itself.  I made the mistake of creating one but not deleting the regular Network Adapter so the VM had two adapters (not usually a problem in Win7), but it just looks like either the physical NIC's full set of features of the driver that represents it aren't fully compatible, and a reduced set of features via the Legacy adapter appear to work. 

But nonetheless I think I will get a 2nd NIC, trying to make it something as industry-standard as I can without it being a server NIC at $500 put into a PC...

I guess I was confused about the Integration Servcices thing.  At some point I must have installed them and not realized or something - in H-V Manager if I click that VM, down on the left it says "all services offered" but I was 99% I have never done the process to install them.  But now there's that 1% doubt so I'll lean towards my potential for being forgetful on this one :)

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• Did you install the Integration Components / Services into the VM?

To make sure it is fully compatible.

Also, did you try using a "Legacy Network Adapter" with the VM?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure that you have already share the Host Network with the VM.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/okoestner/archive/2011/04/26/understanding-hyper-v-network-configuration.aspx 

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Thanks Brian and Juke for the suggestions/info.  I tried the legacy adapter, no change (it also gets an IP from DHCP, but then will not connect to anything).  Integration services are installed automatically (and are present with all checkmarks for this VM). 

From Juke's link, reading into the material it suggests that the Hyper-V R2 best practices are to seperate the mgmt OS from the VM networking, in other words have two NICs in the syatem.  I can understand this is a good idea, but I'm not sure how it's practical in the client world, since almost never do you see two NICs in a PC unless it's one of those with GbE and Wi-Fi - in y case I may just buyta  2nd NIC anyway and see. 

But unfortunately that didn't work either way - with or without mgmt OS checkmark, it does not work. 

Any more thougths?  From what I have read, NICs vary in how they work with client hyper-v compatbility-wise.  Maybe I'll just order another NIC but then, how will I know it's ok too?  Is there a HCL for just NIC's with Hyper-V? 

Rgardless of the 2nd NIXC or not, hy goal is not to solve this yb buying another NIC< if there is anything else that can be tried or troubleshot first.   

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:52 PM

The Integration Components do not auto-install in the VMs, and must be consciously installed (by someone).  And manually installing them also makes them match your patch level.  If you check the networking tab of the VM in the Hyper-V Manager (down on the bottom when you select the VM) it will show you if the version aligns between the VM and hypervisor.

Most all NICs work, but there have been a few that don't.  Intel, HP, Broadcom generally always work (in that order).  Other, inexpensive, NICs might not / don't.  Due to their drivers.

If you are using a physical NIC already, and you are in a corporate environment, my money is on MAC limiting.  It used to be very commonly used to prevent folks from brining in extra machines and using them at their desk.  And has the same impact on VMs.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:09 PM

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

It appears the solution is to use the Legacy Network Adapter by itself.  I made the mistake of creating one but not deleting the regular Network Adapter so the VM had two adapters (not usually a problem in Win7), but it just looks like either the physical NIC's full set of features of the driver that represents it aren't fully compatible, and a reduced set of features via the Legacy adapter appear to work. 

But nonetheless I think I will get a 2nd NIC, trying to make it something as industry-standard as I can without it being a server NIC at $500 put into a PC...

I guess I was confused about the Integration Servcices thing.  At some point I must have installed them and not realized or something - in H-V Manager if I click that VM, down on the left it says "all services offered" but I was 99% I have never done the process to install them.  But now there's that 1% doubt so I'll lean towards my potential for being forgetful on this one :)

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:15 PM