none
Graphical Indicators for overall Project Health - project online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I would like to have a project center view with a column showing Project Health. However I want the health indicator to not be manually changed, but be dynamic based on these requirements:

• If all project tasks are on time = green
    • if any level 1 summary row finish date is late  by <=2 days---- yellow
    • if any level 1 summary row finish date is late for 3 to 4 days ----- orange
    • if any level 1 summary row finish date is late by >=5 = red
    • if any summary row has no finish date then ignore

How can I create these enterprise custom fields to accommodate this? 

• Edited by triniman27 Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:31 PM

Answers

• triniman27 --

What you are attempting to do cannot be done.  What you are asking is for data from a Task field to control what is displayed in a Project field.  My question for you is pretty simple:  If the Finish Variance for the project is 0 days, meaning that the project is not slipping, why does it matter that one of the tasks in the schedule is slipping?  So what if one of the tasks is late when the project itself is not late?

So, the answer to your question is that you can display custom enterprise Project fields in the Project Center, and you can display custom enterprise Task fields in detailed Project views.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by triniman27 Tuesday, April 3, 2018 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:33 PM

All replies

• triniman27 --

You simply cannot create a custom field to accomplish what you want.  Frankly, what difference does it make if one level 1 summary task is 5 days later, but another one of 5 days early?  In the situation, the project would theoretically be on schedule, in spite of the slippage on the one level 1 summary task.

Instead, the field you want to use in your custom field formula is the Finish Variance field, which will show you the total slippage for the entire project measured in working days.  That is the stoplight information I believe you should report.  To create this field, use a custom Duration field, name it Project Health, and use the following formula:

[Finish Variance]

You can use the following graphical indicator criteria, in the following order:

• Is greater than or equal to     5d          Red stoplight
    • Is greater than or equal to     3d          Orange stoplight
    • Is greater than or equal to     0d          Yellow stoplight
    • Is less than or equal to          0d          Green stoplight

I think that setting up your Schedule Health field would give you far more meaningful information in the Project Center view.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Hello Dale, I inputted your formula and it works. However, how would I make it work that if any task in a project was late by 5 days the Project Health column in the Project Center will display Red and so on?

Right now it works only if the project end date is late.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:18 PM
  • triniman27 --

You need to specify the Graphical Indicator criteria in the field in which you entered the formula.  Use my previous reply for how to set up the Graphical Indicator criteria.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:38 PM
  • Hello Dale, I believe I did. Please let me know what I am missing

• Edited by triniman27 Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:50 PM
  • triniman27 --

Oops.  I think I goofed you up with a slight mistake in the graphical indicator criteria.  Change the third line to:

Is greater than     0d          Yellow stoplight

Please let us know if this helps.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:21 PM
  • No, it does not change :(

As you can see I have a task that is > 5 days and my Project Health Column in the Project Center window does not show red.

I am pretty sure I know why it does not work. When a task is late and the Finish Variance field says something like 5 days, it does NOT total it up. If it did total up then the indicators would work.

Thanks

• Edited by triniman27 Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:48 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:40 PM
  • triniman27 --

In your Microsoft Project schedule, make sure that you have the Project Summary Task (aka Row 0 or Task 0 displayed in the project).  To confirm this, apply the Gantt Chart view and then click the Format tab to display the Format ribbon.  At the right end of the Format ribbon, make sure the Project Summary Task checkbox is selected (if not, select it).  What you see in the Project Center page is derived from the information in the Project Summary Task for your project.

In the Gantt Chart view, temporarily insert your Project Health field.  What do you see?  Do you see either the graphical indicator or a number representing the Finish Variance value?

Also, have you actually published the project since revising the Graphical Indicator criteria?  If not, you need to publish the project so that the stoplight indicators show up correctly.  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Hello Dale, currently this is what I see. Not sure why they are all green when my formula states if over 5days to be red?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:57 PM
  • triniman27 --

OK, thanks much for sharing the complete screenshot.  The stoplight indicator for the Project Summary Task is CORRECT.  Your project currently has a Finish Variance value of 0d, which correctly yields the green stoplight indicator.  Remember that the custom field you created is ONLY for the Project Summary Task and is NOT applicable to any individual tasks in the schedule, even if those other tasks have a Finish Variance value greater than 0 days.

Secondly, I notice that you are using Manually Scheduled tasks in your project schedule.  We recommend as a best practice that you only use Auto Scheduled tasks in your schedule.  That allows Microsoft Project to automatically reschedule successor tasks when a predecessor task slips, and gives you the greatest scheduling flexibility.  I would recommend you switch every task in your schedule to Auto Scheduled and then see what the formula reveals.

If you want to see the correct stoplight indicators for individual tasks in your schedule, you would need to create a custom enterprise Task field using a Duration field type, and then use the same formula and Graphical Indicator criteria in that custom Task field.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:08 PM
  • Hello Dale, thanks for the reply. I changed all the tasks to Auto Schedule but there was no change of results. You are correct to use task/duration field type with the same formula but how do I make it so I can add that field to the Project Center? I can only add it to the Task Summary views. It seems as though you have to set a field to Project type to have it show up in the Project Center in Project Online.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:43 PM
  • triniman27 --

What you are attempting to do cannot be done.  What you are asking is for data from a Task field to control what is displayed in a Project field.  My question for you is pretty simple:  If the Finish Variance for the project is 0 days, meaning that the project is not slipping, why does it matter that one of the tasks in the schedule is slipping?  So what if one of the tasks is late when the project itself is not late?

So, the answer to your question is that you can display custom enterprise Project fields in the Project Center, and you can display custom enterprise Task fields in detailed Project views.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by triniman27 Tuesday, April 3, 2018 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:33 PM