ERROR CODE 31 RRS feed

• Question

• I keep receiving error code 31 while looking at my adapters in the device manager.  The Microsoft techNet says that this is not an issue, but it actually has become one for me.  I am using a Windows Vista on an HP notebook and I am unable to use Internet Explorer, I have to use FireFox instead, I cannot use LiveUpdate for my Symantec products and I am unable to access the Help/support features of Vista due to the system's inability to detect a connection despite my ability to use the internet. Any suggestions?
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:24 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I know that you found the error code 31 on your adapters. To narrow down this issue, could you please let me know the exact name, brand and model of these adapters?

I also want to know if the Internet Explorer could not run or it just failed to access the Internet. How did the FireFox work?

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please ensure that the adapters are compatible with Windows Vista.

2.    Reinstall the device drivers for the adapters.

Note: Please also ensure that the drivers are for Windows Vista.

3.    Check the device driver

===============

1) Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

2) Click Device Manager.

3) Navigate to your adapter.

4) Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”, click OK and reboot the computer.

5) After the computer started, please check if it works. If not, please go to Device Manager and right-click on the adapter and choose “Update the driver software”.

6) Please choose Properties of the adapter and go to the Driver tab, if the “Roll Back Driver” is clickable, please click it to see if it helps.

Note: Please check if there are any updated versions released on the adapter manufacture’s site.

Meanwhile, if everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore.

(Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

After checking, if the issue persists, please also run “ipconfig /all” to export all the network settings and post the information to this thread.

Hope this helps

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:41 AM