error deploying image MDT2013 RRS feed

• Question

• To make a long story short:

Image procedure is: capture image from a Vmware client Windows 7 SP1 installation. Import into MDT2013, make a new Task Sequence for deploying that Image. Edit unattend xml in that TS to copyprofile.
    Update Deployment Share and import the wim into WDS. Booting client with network boot and choose the image to deploy.

After making a new capture from a client and import into MDT. I thought this time i do not edit the TS because the name of the imported image is the same. Then updated the deployment share.

When i tried to deploy this image a error on the client appears. First i get the menu which is in WDS on the client and choose deploy W7. The client is loading LiteTouchPE_x86.wim but when he is finished loading a Windows error problem occurs: 

Windows failed to start. Recent hardware change might be the cause. This message appears also when somthing is wrong with Windows when he is not starting. But  is this due to the new image i captured into MDT? because i haven't chosen that image yet on the client so far is he not coming.

So i think maybe this is due that i did not make a TS change. So i deleted the TS and meade a new one then do a edit unattend.xml. When i choose edit unattend xml a second problem arised: he tries to open the unattend but gives a error. So i start system image manually and want to open the unattend.xml which is in the control\imagename folder. Then he says that the unattend is not attached to an image?

It looks like something is wrong with the LiteTouchPE_x86.wim but how can i see what it is?

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:11 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:47 PM

Answers

• TLDR. I don't understand the problem. Do you have any logs or capture of errors?

It doesn't make sense that you would get a "change of hardware setting" error after PXE booting, unless you PXE boot process toally failed, and the BIOS went back to the boot sequene on the disk, if so your summary of the problem may be misleading. Please WIPE your local hard disk and *THEN* perform a PXE boot to confirm the real problem.

WDS/PXE booting is an error prone process, if you are having problems please be prepared to DETAIL your server configuration, the ADK version, MDT version, and *ALL* drivers present in the image. You may need to create a NEW litetouchPE_x??.wim image on a new machine from SCRATCH to isolate if the problem is with your image, or with your WDS Server.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:41 AM
  • error number beneath the pagge is: 0xc0000017

PS C:\> err 0xc0000017
    # for hex 0xc0000017 / decimal -1073741801 :
      STATUS_NO_MEMORY                                              ntstatus.h
    # {Not Enough Quota}
    # Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available
    # to complete the specified operation.
    # 1 matches found for "0xc0000017"

Are you running in a virtual machine? How much RAM does the machine have?
    Perhaps an AMD processor?

Please ensure that you have 1GB of ram.

Yes the client system has 4 GB memory. I tried to deploy to several different systems all with 4 GB memory, usally no problem..

Maybe try to make a new task sequence but then i must point to the excisting deployment share and then everything comes back again i am afraid.

Should i make a complete new one and import the operating systems and TS from the old deploymentshare but without the driver folders?

The out of the box drivers are however imported because otherwise i have to install all Dell Latitude etc. drivers after deploying on the systems thats not the intention off course but for a test to see if it is a driver problem....

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:05 AM
  • I think the thing that has been bounced around but, wasn't mentioned (and I missed this earlier)... Enlarge the scratch space for WinPE.

1. Right click your deployment share
    2. Select properties
    3. Select the Windows PE tab
    4. Change the Scratch space to something bigger (128 is a good start)
    5. Now select x64 and do the same thing.
    6. Try to reproduce your issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:51 AM

All replies

• Long story indeed. I think you got the principal use of MDT wrong, if you use MDT, you no longer need WDS other than providing the boot image from MDT to clients over the network through WDS PXE boot. Therefore each time you make adjustments to your boot.wim like adding drivers or modifying the bootstrap.ini ONLY THEN you need to update your deploymentshare and update the boot image in your WDS server, by importing the new boot image.

WDS, your boot image have nothing to do with your task sequence, or the operating system image you are trying to deploy.

To troubleshoot your error, please inspect:

bdd.log (can be found C:\MININT)
    smsts.log (can be found %localappdata%\temp\SMSOSD)
    setupact.log (can be found C:\Windows\Panther)
    setuperr.log (can be found C:\Windows\Panther)
    dism.log (can be found C:\Windows\Logs\DISM)

View the logfiles with trace.exe or cmtrace.exe and post back the results.

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:30 AM
  • It is working again but i do not now what was wrong and that bothers me.

I know that loading the LitetouchPE_x86.wim in WDS is only to boot the client, but after the update Deploymentshare the litetouchPE_x86 is made and far as i know it must always be imported in WDS again?
    LitetouchPE_x86.wim is responsible for displaying all the TS on the client i did believe?

I hope you can clarify this so i can prevent the error in the future:

At the moment i am working with 2 shares: Captureshare$ and Deploymentshare$. In the Captureshare$ is only one TS that is Sysprep & Capture. The customsettings.ini is defined that he must capture. When i update this share in MDT it also creates a ..\boot\LitetouchPE_x86.wim.
    On the client that must be captured i start a batchfile that calls a script: ..\scripts\Litetouch.wsf.
    So i do not understand the funktion of this ..\boot\LitetouchPE_x86.wim....

I know for a fact that i placed a older LitetouchPE_x86.wim into the folder \captureshare$\boot\ and then updated the captureshare. From that moment on boot the client to network and the menu with TSes was appearing again and i could deploy all the images again. The problem was solved.

But i do not understand why it was working again? What was the funktion of the Captureshare\boot\litetouchPE_X86.wim with the Deployment.........

The deploymentshare is the share where i hold the captured images and several task sequences. After updated i import this created LitetouchPE_x86.wim in WDS. When i do not import this into WDS how am i gooing to see the Task Sequences made in the Depoymentshare on the client?

Can you give me some help to understand this material?

freddie

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:38 AM
  • Hi the only function of the boot image is to make/create a connection with the deploymentshare. You can see this if you would mount the WIM file and look at the index file, it just calls a script that creates a network mapping to the deploymentshare. From there the litetouch.wsf script, which is located in your .\DeploymentShare\Scripts folder is called, and the entire mechanism starts to work.

Litetouch calls ztigather.wsf, which assesses the customsettings.ini.

Each time you modify your boot image, you'll need to re-import it again in WDS

Next in your DeploymentShare there is a sub folder called Captures, you can redirect WIM images that are going to captured into this share, by specifying the following property in your customsettings.ini:

ComputerBackupLocation=%DeployRoot%\Captures\%ComputerName% this way any WIM file captured from a sysprep and capture task sequence, or from a standard client or server task sequence will be captured to this particular directory.

Capturing an operating system installation, will only happen if you specify the following properties in your customsettings.ini:

SkipCapture=YES

DoCapture=YES

ComputerBackupLocation=%DeployRoot%\Captures

BackupFile=W7ENTSP1x64EN.wim

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:44 AM
  • Thx for the reply.

Can you think with me? i have 2 shares: Captureshare$ and Deploymentshare$ Both with a different customsettings.ini. Captureshare for the sysprep and capture and deploymentshare for deployment.

The client that is captured comes in the Captureshare\captures but that is no problem because i import this image in the deploymentshare and then he moves the image to a folder beneath the Deploymentshare.

However i still do not understand why above was not working because the LitetouchPE_x86.wim in the Captureshare\boot was not ok. I do not understand what this litetouch does because i import another Litetouch in the WDS that is the Deployment\boot\litetouch.

But after i replaced the Litetouch in the Captureshare the Deployment worked so it was due to a wrong captureshare\boot\LitetouchPE_x86.wim.....and that i cannot figure out why..

freddie

Friday, January 23, 2015 7:10 AM
  • There we are again.  I have made updates to a base image. Then sysprepped and captured it, imported the image in MDT deploymentshare. Updated the deployment share and then in WDS made a new bootimage loaded the litetouch_x86.wim which was created in the \\deploymentshare\boot folder.

Booting the client from network and choose the option from the bootimage Windows 7 is it called (this is from the file litetouch_x86.wim earlier added bootimage).

Then on the client just BEFORE the menu appears with the different Task sequences it gives a error. Failure, change of hardware settings etc. a normal boot error for Windows 7.

So every time i update the deploymentshare ater a imported edited image it goes wrong..

Could it be the drivers in the "out of the box drivers" which i have imported for new dell models? Although the deploy are not to that new machines but to older ones. I will remove those drivers and update the deploymentshare again see if that works but then i have another problem: how to import those drivers for new systems.... how to see which driver is the problem if it are those drivers..

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Monday, February 23, 2015 2:44 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 1:49 PM
  • TLDR. I don't understand the problem. Do you have any logs or capture of errors?

It doesn't make sense that you would get a "change of hardware setting" error after PXE booting, unless you PXE boot process toally failed, and the BIOS went back to the boot sequene on the disk, if so your summary of the problem may be misleading. Please WIPE your local hard disk and *THEN* perform a PXE boot to confirm the real problem.

WDS/PXE booting is an error prone process, if you are having problems please be prepared to DETAIL your server configuration, the ADK version, MDT version, and *ALL* drivers present in the image. You may need to create a NEW litetouchPE_x??.wim image on a new machine from SCRATCH to isolate if the problem is with your image, or with your WDS Server.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:41 AM
  • I am trying for hours to get the logs. On the client however i cannot see the logs. Have tried SHIFT F10 and F8 to go to the harddrive but non of the commands works to get to the harddrive.

Also tried to activate the monitoring in MDT2013 but that gives me another problem which i do not get into right now because first i need to get the bootting done. The monitoring service cannot start: an obeject reference not set to an instance of an object. This is for later..

For me it makes no sense either. The problem is what i described: when i update the deployment share and import the litetouch_x86.wim into WDS, boot the client with it: before the menu appears with the different Task Sequences a black screen of WIndows appears with the Windows Boot Manager (server ip .....)

error number beneath the pagge is: 0xc0000017

Maybe you can tell me what exactly happens when starting the client with the network boot option? You see a indicator with loading file \\server\deploymentshare\boot\x86\boot\litetouch_x86.wim, almost at the end of loading that file the error appears.

The path that he is showing to the litetouch is strange because the litetouch is imported in wds from \\deploymentshare\boot not the \boot\x86\boot but that would be technical i suppose..

MDT version is MDT2013 - 6.2.5019

WAIK is for WIndows 7 32 bit on a WIndows Server 2003 32 bit server

But a simple question cannot be found an answer for in my case: what could be wrong with a litetouch file to boot? network drivers are all good because it always worked...
    And is it possible to boot with an old Litetouch_x86.wim from 2009?does that boot and showing the menu with task sequences?

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:32 AM

# {Not Enough Quota}

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:58 PM

# {Not Enough Quota}

Yes the client system has 4 GB memory. I tried to deploy to several different systems all with 4 GB memory, usally no problem..

Maybe try to make a new task sequence but then i must point to the excisting deployment share and then everything comes back again i am afraid.

Should i make a complete new one and import the operating systems and TS from the old deploymentshare but without the driver folders?

The out of the box drivers are however imported because otherwise i have to install all Dell Latitude etc. drivers after deploying on the systems thats not the intention off course but for a test to see if it is a driver problem....

freddie

• Edited by surfer10 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:05 AM
  • I have put a old litetouch_x86.wim to the boot folder from 2 months old and imported this litetouch_x86.wim into WDS. Now i come on the client to the Task sequence screen!.

But i do not know what the problem is so when i do now a update of the deploymentshare the Litetouch_x86.wim is overwritten and it is sure that the bootting process will again not work anymore.

How to find out what is the problem....

freddie

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Now is the hard part, most likely you have a component in your current litetouch_x86.wim file that is causing the crash. Either:

1. the source litetouch_x86.wim file is corrupt (re-install the ADK).

2. There is a driver causing problems. Try removing all drivers, and adding them back in one by one to see which one causes problems.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Now is the hard part, most likely you have a component in your current litetouch_x86.wim file that is causing the crash. Either:

1. the source litetouch_x86.wim file is corrupt (re-install the ADK).

2. There is a driver causing problems. Try removing all drivers, and adding them back in one by one to see which one causes problems.

When i start the installation of ADk he says it is properly installed. Must i remove it and reinstall again?

I have removed all the added drivers and updated the deployment share completely. Import the litetouch again in WDS same problem. The other drivers it cannot be because they worked for years..that would be strange..

Rebuilding the deploymentshare also has no use when after making a new deploymentshare iimporting all the images and rules.ini and TS etc. it would be the same or is there a difference then when updateing the deployment share?

freddie

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:11 PM
  • I have made a generic litetouch_x86.wim and added it as a boot image to WDS. Boot the client with this boot image and the same error appears: Windows boot manager with Windows failed to start status: 0xc0000017.

So the drivers are not the problem i assume.. but what is?

freddie

Monday, March 2, 2015 7:52 AM
  • I have made a generic litetouch_x86.wim and added it as a boot image to WDS. Boot the client with this boot image and the same error appears: Windows boot manager with Windows failed to start status: 0xc0000017.

So the drivers are not the problem i assume.. but what is?

freddie

"Generic litetouch_x86.wim" ? I'm not sure if this means you wiped the Deployment share from scratch, or if you selected the "Generic Boot Image" in the MDT Deployment Share Properties.

I would not rule out driver problems until you create a LiteTouchPE_x86.iso image from a clean deployment share with no 3rd party drivers loaded.

Additionally, have you tried a x64 litetouch image? I wonder if you are booting to uEFI (check the bdd.log for isUEFI = True/False ).

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:28 PM
  • I think the thing that has been bounced around but, wasn't mentioned (and I missed this earlier)... Enlarge the scratch space for WinPE.

1. Right click your deployment share
    2. Select properties
    3. Select the Windows PE tab
    4. Change the Scratch space to something bigger (128 is a good start)
    5. Now select x64 and do the same thing.
    6. Try to reproduce your issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:51 AM