none
Problem Importing Unique IDs RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm trying to import an Excel file into Project (the Excel file was exported originally from Project). When I initially exported, it exported the Unique IDs with no issues. However, when I import the Excel file back into Project, it is bringing in different Unique IDs and I have no clue where it is getting those numbers from.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really need to maintain the Unique IDs so that I can bring in updates to the file easily while merging in the future.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Friday, August 7, 2015 6:34 PM

All replies

  • I'm trying to import an Excel file into Project (the Excel file was exported originally from Project). When I initially exported, it exported the Unique IDs with no issues. However, when I import the Excel file back into Project, it is bringing in different Unique IDs and I have no clue where it is getting those numbers from.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really need to maintain the Unique IDs so that I can bring in updates to the file easily while merging.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Friday, August 7, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Hi sf,

    I've run into similar issues in the past that always came down to one of the following:

    1. Structural changes to the excel file in a way that destroyed the keys.  e.g. Changing the unique IDs from text to numbers in excel.

    2. Attempting to re-import data from a subproject back into a master/sub consolidated view.  The Unique IDs on the export are transformed, but the import does not recognize it.  You pretty much have to import data to each sub-project independently.

    Good luck, tom

    Friday, August 7, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Unique IDs get created whenever a new task is created, including after a cut or copy and paste.

    When you import, are you choosing Merge then selecting Unique Id as the merge key?


    Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

    Saturday, August 8, 2015 5:37 AM
    Moderator
  • I don't have the initial Project file as the export was sent to me from someone else's file. I'm trying to get the initial import in so that I will be able to merge when I receive updated exports in the future. It appears that there is an automatic calculation going on that compresses the long Unique IDs (IDs are in the 600,000,000 due to the subprojects) so I think I may be okay as long as that automatic calculation is consistent in the future exports.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 1:15 PM
  • I played around a bit with the text to numbers thing and came up empty handed. It appears that there is an automatic calculation going on that compresses the long Unique IDs (IDs are in the 600,000,000 due to the subprojects) so I think I may be okay as long as that automatic calculation is consistent in the future exports.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 1:16 PM
  • The only way this will work is if you create the original export to Excel so the unique Ids come from your file. Then make sure that those Unique Ids come back unchanged.

    You can't change teh unique Ids in Project so they must be preserved in Excel.

    I strongly recommend you have the latest service pack and updates for Project. There were a number of minor bugs in the import area so if you aren't on the latest SP you will waste thousands of dollars of time chasing problems and wrong data all fixed by the updates.


    Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

    Monday, August 10, 2015 8:27 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Rod! I did pull from the original file and it did maintain the Unique IDs into Excel. The issue is going from Excel back into Project, it's doing something weird to the Unique IDs during that transaction. I'm guessing it's a bug like you mentioned before because I don't believe I have the latest service pack.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:00 PM
  • Hi sf38,

    Please post back if you find your issue being fixed by a patch/update - and including what version you are running.  If so we may want to update some of our procedures.

    We've been running MSP2010 Pro (fully patched I've always thought) for a few years, and this was one thing we ran into where - rather than spending many hours figuring out why it (a consolidated excel-to-project merge) didn't work as expected, we just implemented a procedural workaround that involved re-importing the updates independently to the subprojects (after reverse-transforming the UIDs) rather than all at once to the consolidated project (the original source of the export.)  In hindsight, I don't think our issue was exactly the same as yours - our import wizard simply hung without creating new tasks.

    By the way I'm wondering how any "automatic calculation" that compresses the long unique IDs can be consistently implemented during a re-import to a consolidated master/subproject.  The consolidated project transforms the original UIDs of the subproject tasks (into very long numbers) to avoid duplication among the SPs.

    1. Master UID = UID + [Offset]
    2. [Offset] = 2^22*(1+[SPSN])
    3. [SPSN] = SubProject Sequence Number = the order in which the subproject was added to the Master Project (beginning with 1).
    4. For example, the offset values for the first three subprojects are 8388608, 12582912, and 166777216.

    If this is undone in the master, then you have duplicates, at which point a merge becomes unreliable (if it even runs).  As I said above, I've had no trouble at all reversing this transformation and merging data directly to the subprojects using the reverse-transformed UIDs as the merge key.

    It would be great if we could avoid this workaround.

    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:36 PM