How I can tell if my ADFS 2.0 server uses WID or SQL database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I've inherited an environment of a single ADFS 2.0 server + ADFS proxy. There's no document available of deployment.

How I can tell if ADFS 2.0 server uses WID or SQL database?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:09 PM

Answers

• Run the following commands:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Adfs.PowerShell
    Get-ADFSProperties

And look at the ArtifactDbConnectionproperties. Does it have the name of the SQL Server and an instance? If yes it is a SQL server... Or is that something like mssql$microsoft##ssee? If yes it is a WID.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:45 PM

All replies

• Run the following commands:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Adfs.PowerShell
    Get-ADFSProperties

And look at the ArtifactDbConnectionproperties. Does it have the name of the SQL Server and an instance? If yes it is a SQL server... Or is that something like mssql$microsoft##ssee? If yes it is a WID.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Hello Pierre,

Sorry for late reply.

There was no SQL server name displayed, so it looks like we're running on WID.

ArtifactDbConnection           : Data Source=\\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query;Initial Catalog=AdfsArtifactStore;Integrated Security=True

Thank you so much for your help!

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:29 AM
  • That looks like SQL to me... if it's WID, you should see something like:

ArtifactDbConnection                       : Data Source=np:\\.\pipe\microsoft##wid\tsql\query;Initial
    Catalog=AdfsArtifactStore;Integrated Security=True

http://blog.auth360.net

Friday, May 20, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hello Mylo,

I can't find local SQL server installation from my ADFS server (checked Add/Remove Programs).

However, I can see "Windows Internal Database" service running on my ADFS server.

So, is it a WID or SQL?

Monday, May 23, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Despite the fact that this is an old question and no one was able to answer it properly, it still shows as the first result in Google Searches, so here's the proper answer:

If the ArtifactDbConnection attribute in Get-ADFSProperties contains "microsoft##WID\tsql" it is using WID. Otherwise, if if contains "mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql" then ADFS is using SQL.

More info: https://onenote4exchange.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/how-to-check-if-your-server-adfs-environment-is-using-sql-or-wid/

• Proposed as answer by xXxOlivierxXx Monday, September 3, 2018 10:32 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 10:31 PM