How can I share Word Building Blocks with all users in my domain RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to share building blocks that I created with all users in my domain.  What is the easiest way to do this?  I would like to put the in a share, but how can I enable users to access them from Word?
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can deploy the Building Blocks with the Word templates.

Refer to the following article:

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-word/archive/2007/02/20/deploying-building-blocks.aspx

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Am I going to have to edit the registry on everyone's computer for them to be able to see these building blocks?
    Friday, October 26, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I added the shared directory for building blocks in the registry of a couple of computers to test storing building blocks on a shared drive.  I set this folder to read only for all users but myself.  When more than one person tries to access this building block, the message received is that the document is in use by another person and I can open it in read only. 

What I am trying to accomplish is to create a shared building block that all users in our domain can use at the same time.  I only want there to be one copy of this on a shared drive rather than deploying to to all users computers, because I want to be able to update it as needed.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Make sure you have save the building blocks in Word template file which is the .dotm type. For example, test.dotm.

Save the following AutoExec macro to a global template file (Normal.dotm):

Note: You have to change the path and file name to your own.

Sub AutoExec()

Documents.Add Template:="\\Server\Folder\test.dotm"

End Sub

Deploy the global template file to replace the file on your clients.

Next time, when open the Word application the macro will be run automatically to create a document base on the test.dotm.

The template file test.dotm may only be opened for creating new document, no editing is needed. In the situation, it should not be read-only.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Rex Zhang Monday, October 29, 2012 8:31 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Will this method mess up the standard building blocks template on everyone's computer?

I edited the registry to make the shared folder with the shared building block in it available to users, however, if more than one person tries to open the template, I get the error that it is locked by a user, and asks if they want to open it in read only mode, which is ok, but how do I get the prompt to open in read only mode to stop?

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:29 PM
  • I have the shared folder setup, and I have edited the registry on the people's computer by adding the key for shared documents, but it is hit and miss for the building blocks in this shared folder to show up in the building blocks organizer.  Can someone tell me how I am supposed to save this this folder to ensure that it will be listed in the Building Blocks Organizer for all users who have access to it?
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:31 AM
  • I am trying the autoexec() method.  Maybe I am not doing it right.  I added that command to my normal.dotm file, but everytime I open a new document the command is listed in a blank document.  It isn't executing to give me access to the template file in the shared directory.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 4:38 PM
  • I found the easiest way to share your Building Blocks.dotx file is to attach it to each document that you want to have access to it.  In Word select:

File; then:

Options; then:

Add-ins; then:

Scroll down to "Manage" and select "Templates" and then "Go"

in the Document template box attach the Building Blocks.dotx file from the location where it is saved.

Enter "OK"

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:14 PM
  • You must store building blocks in a template.
    Where can Building Blocks be stored?

Such a template can be stored in the Building Blocks folder for each computer but I would not recommend doing so. Instead, install it as a Global Template. This can be stored in a central network location and distributed using a login script to update it on the local drive from the network. The network copy can be updated.

Global templates are stored in the Word Startup Folder.

While that folder could be a shared folder, it is not a good idea. If it is shared, you may not be able to edit your template when any user has Word open.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, August 21, 2017 10:43 PM
  • Will this method mess up the standard building blocks template on everyone's computer?

I edited the registry to make the shared folder with the shared building block in it available to users, however, if more than one person tries to open the template, I get the error that it is locked by a user, and asks if they want to open it in read only mode, which is ok, but how do I get the prompt to open in read only mode to stop?

It will not mess up the standard building blocks or custom building blocks. However, see my other response which is to suggest simply making the template a global template, without any macros or registry entries.

Monday, August 21, 2017 10:50 PM
  • I found the easiest way to share your Building Blocks.dotx file is to attach it to each document that you want to have access to it.  In Word select:

File; then:

Options; then:

Add-ins; then:

Scroll down to "Manage" and select "Templates" and then "Go"

in the Document template box attach the Building Blocks.dotx file from the location where it is saved.

Enter "OK"

This is NOT the easiest nor the best way to share building blocks. There is absolutely no reason to share a Building Blocks.dotx file, it should be a different templates and should not be attached to a document but rather be a global template. Building Blocks that you want to share should never be stored in the Building Blocks.dotx file!

Where can Building Blocks be stored?

Monday, August 21, 2017 10:54 PM
  • We have 20 templates that we build reports from. They share similar auto text. If I save the text with the template I have to do the same thing 20 times and then update 20 times. If I create one single building blocks repository I only do it once and can update it centrally once - all quite independently of the templates. Your no was pretty emphatic was there a particular reason? 

Monday, April 20, 2020 3:37 PM
  • We have 20 templates that we build reports from. They share similar auto text. If I save the text with the template I have to do the same thing 20 times and then update 20 times. If I create one single building blocks repository I only do it once and can update it centrally once - all quite independently of the templates. Your no was pretty emphatic was there a particular reason? 

My "no" was emphatic. The place to store custom building blocks to be shared is not in "Building Blocks.dotx." That is a private template, not designed for sharing. If you put that file on someone else's computer, it overwrites any custom building blocks they may have created.

You have a different issue, perhaps.

First "similar AutoText" is not the same as "the same AutoText." If you mean "the same AutoText" then these should be in a central repository, but not in Building Blocks.dotx.  Look at Where can Building Blocks be stored?

You can definitely create a global template and save your building blocks there. That can be shared without overwriting other user's own building blocks.

Earlier Rex said this needs to be a .dotx template. That is true only if it will hold macros.

Take a look at Supplemental Building Blocks for Headers and Footers which has directions on where to put such a file.

Monday, April 20, 2020 5:33 PM